Stormer FB 360

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
SPRIDDLER

Re: Stormer FB 360

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Fabulous! How spindly was the front frame cradle! And that huge rear sprocket has 'Fun' written all over it. I can hear and smell it now. 8-)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have not added Castrol R to petrol since the good old days when the smell was a must have.
It is still used by some people, I often think, I'll have to get some. Use and re live the good olds days
of riding a Stormer sniffing that good country R & Castrol air
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Surprisingly, there's a section on Stormers on the AJS website. Maybe you've seen it already.
I found it whilst looking at the modern 125 to use for our Alternative Rally. P'raps.
Techy info, Spec'ns, gear ratios, spares, manuals, photos of Stormers in action, 'Fluff's Toolbox' hints and tips.....
Scroll down the left hand index to Pre-'74 Stormer.
http://www.ajsmotorcycles.co.uk/new_AJS/docs/main.htm
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
colloc

Post by colloc »

Spriddler,
Thanks for the link, I have previously been on the website but not noticed the tech info area where it references the modern recommended lubes.
Thank you
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the club,

You are right to be careful of using the information in the manual, its excellent for many aspects of running and maintaining your Stormer, but indead, technology moves on.

You won't be using 4 star, so always buy the hightest octane fuel you can find at the pumps, your choice of 2 stroke mix will depend on your use, I use Silkolene Comp 2 pre mix, at 32-1, my bike is not run on a day to day basis, so this protects it whilst its sat waiting for its next run, its sticky oil.

Spriddler gave you the best link, your bike was built by them, they can also provide you with the exact information you need, and the spare parts. I buy my oil from them, to support the company as much as possible, go to the section, 'Silkolene Oils and Fuel Additives' and buy mail order.

You will find a choice of oils, including Castrol R, be careful, not romantic, if you are going to completly rebuild your engine, the choice of oil will effect the life and robustness of the bearings, seek advice from AJS Motorcycles Ltd, you will also clean out your casings, so you won't mix bean oil with synthetic, start completly fresh, and know what its history is. The bearings in the day of the manual were different, technology has moved on, and if you don't know if they have changed, renewed the bottom end, you could put the wrong oil in, and they won't be compatible, the bearings could shatter.

So pick up the phone and have a chat with AJS Motorcycles, Spriddler should not be supprised, I am that he is, these are the people who built your bike, from frame to engine, they are not a dealer, they race them on Sundays.

Best wishes Cliff.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

FB AJS Stormer L001s.jpg
FB AJS Stormer L002s.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
colloc

Post by colloc »

Cliff,
I was hoping you might post at some point, such a shame I cannot see your earlier posts as you are certainly very knowledgeable.
We can't even get super unleaded up here and I use octane booster on the car!
I am quite fussy where I spend my money and will use AJS for mail order whenever possible.
I will be contacting AJS and get the ball rolling
Thank you
bunners

Post by bunners »

That looks like a fun bike, but sort the rear mud guard out it is surely in the wrong place :?: :?: :?: :?:
If there is life after Death whats the point of dying in the first place.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Colin,

I hope you could see the picture leaflet for your bike, it will show you the bike as built by AJS Motorcycles Ltd.

What year was your bike made ?

The manual was produced for NVT, before Fluff Brown bought the company and AJS name, his son Nick, still owns the name, along with name for Cotton.

Fluff, first worked for Cotton, then AJS, as workshop race team manager, he bought the name from NVT when they folded in 1974, he then carried on racing and building his own Stormers, yours is one of them. He built the frame and had many engines, its a true AJS, British built in Andover.

I notice yours is also street legal, so the fuel and oil I use, should suit your arrangement as well, but the modern bushes are nylon, this is were the oil you choose to use is important. My bike is also a Street Scrambler, 250cc built by Fluff in 1976, has a alloy tank but is a different style to yours, Fluff and family built bikes, based on the original Stormer, through into the '80's, also Cotton replica's.

One of the reasons I support them, among many, is they commission engineers to manufacture short runs of parts which are in short supply from original old stock, Fluff bought all the spare engines and parts, and machinery from NVT.

One of the best things to do, is buy the parts manual, an old lever arch affair, AJS should have one, it will smell like an old library, but it has exploded diagrams of the original Stormer, 1968, and the parts numbers are still used today by AJS Motorcycles, all the parts they have are not listed on the web site, they could build you a complete new bike from old stock, just.

I will return to putting information back on the website, i removed everything after being challenged by a member of the committee over copyright issues, and was left not knowing what is acceptable to post, I have thought about setting up my own pages elsewhere, but would prefer to have the information, here on the AJS and Matchless Owners Club site, because I think this is where our bikes should be truely represented, as part of the marque. i tried to educate the members, on the true history of the bike, the people who created it, the people who raced it, and all the machines they raced against and its success.

For example many people wrongly believe FB stands for Francis Barnet, when in fact its Fluff Brown, the bike has nothing to do with Francis Barnet. Its frame heritage starts at Cotton with Fluff Brown, and its engine with Villiers, its name comes from NVT, and its true status as an AJS, from being hand built by Fluff, and family in Andover.

Don't take offence from other people on the forum, many postings are mis interpretted, Rob for example is a first rate member, so is Spriddler.

Ask any question you like, i will do my best to help,

Best wishes Cliff.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Colin,

Another thing I've noticed looking at your bike photo, is the front wheel is on the oppersite way to mine, front brake is on the other side, have a look at the leaflet photograph, also still interested in the bikes date,

Best wishes

Cliff