G85 CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Charles.
Deceased

G85 CS

Post by Charles. »

I am interseted in abike for sale here in Australia. It is a G85CS, which I have been told was manufactured befoer 31 December 1964 which is our cutoff date for pre 65 Classic Motocross. Others have told me that G85 CS was not made until 1966..can you guys shed some light on this before I buy this bike?
Regards, Brian
silverarrow

G85 CS

Post by silverarrow »

Looking at the bacon books it would seem the G85CS was available from 1965 to 1969 and most were supplied in the 1966-68 period. It is just possible that your bike could have made in 1964 if it was for the 65 season. I do not suggest this is likely and i would reccommend obtaining the frame and engine numbers so that they can be checked for likely date and if OK you could obtain a dating certificate from the club dating officier. I think this costs £10 for club members and would be worth getting the difinitive answer before buying. It is a splendid machine so you may want to buy it anyway! There is a link to the dating officier from this site.

Les Smith
Keep smiling
RogerNorman

G85 CS

Post by RogerNorman »

There is a much better way of finding the information - again through the links page. Its a Dutch site called wanadoo? The page has complete information on G85's and if you scroll to the bottom of the section of 'My machine' there is a frame/engine number register. According to that list however the first machines were not made until 1966.