Brake shoe spring

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Brake shoe spring

Post by davegsx »

I had been out on the AJS today and Just has I turned into the road at the top of the hill to my Lock up the front brake decided that it had had enough and applied it self locking the front wheel up, I left the bike there took the wheel out, the spring that holds the brake shoes in place had snapped and wedged it self against the shoes and drum. Good have been nasty. Can you buy just the two springs that go between the brake shoes?
Rob Harknett

Re: Brake shoe spring

Post by Rob Harknett »

year /model/ front or back, we know its front but what year/ model wheel?? you may find it's one of 4 different pt. no's
listed and that's just for the lightweight. Check your parts list and club spares. Do not assume the one that came off is correct, it may had come off because it was wrong.

Post by 1608 »

This further illustrates the point I made the other day about spring steel being very susceptible to breaking when rusty.
bob

Post by bob »

Agree rusty springs break easier .
But don't use rust remover on them .
Phosphoric acid and spring steel don't like each other . That will make them fail .
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

I had this happen to me on a trip round Holland some years ago .
MY ADVICE was to

"CHECK YOUR BRAKE SPRINGS " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I was lucky it happened as i was stoping in a car park .
When i returned i replaced all springs with =
NEW ONES YES ALL 4 SPRINGS !!!!
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENOY your Motorcycle`s and Scooter`s .
Insured with PETER JAMES
r w webb
davegsx

Post by davegsx »

It is a 1967 CSR, keep forgetting to put the details in the post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

We can see you have a 67 CSR Dave, but a bike listed on a profile is not always the bike referred to in a posting. I was amazed to find so many different spring pt. no's, I have never bothered to check for any differences, when fitting shoes.
I guess springs for 6" & 7" drums would differ in length. The club only seem to sell one type of spring. I have never suffer a broken spring in a car or bike. I was once asked to work on a wood working spindle machine, to find the brake on it never worked. That was a mess of broken springs and damaged linings. The company said, yea we know about that, can't get the bits. It appeared to have had wrong parts fitted. I found some moped shoes the correct dia & width.

Post by 1608 »

Joinery shop spindle machines are notoriously dangerous.
Talking of brakes, although slightly off topic, the rear linings came adrift in my Micra recently and had the same effect of jamming btn shoe and drum. Never had that before.Then discovered leaky s/cylinder and the new shoes were a b****r to fit.