AJS 14 CSR 250

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Richtalk

AJS 14 CSR 250

Post by Richtalk »

Have just acquired AJS 250 1966. Has been in bits since 1985!
I am trying to find the oil pump guide pin and sleeve (before removing the oil pump plunger), but cannot see it on external crankcase. can anyone advise where it is?
Cheers. Richtalk
Ozmadman

Re: AJS 14 CSR 250

Post by Ozmadman »

Richtalk wrote:Have just acquired AJS 250 1966. Has been in bits since 1985!
I am trying to find the oil pump guide pin and sleeve (before removing the oil pump plunger), but cannot see it on external crankcase. can anyone advise where it is?
Cheers. Richtalk
The oil pump guide pin and sleeve is situated behind the rh crankcase, you will also need to take off the internal oil tank and then you will see a bolt roughly under the points housing which is angled upwards(there is a picture on this forum somewhere)Also, to take the pump shaft out, presuming that is what you are talking about when you mention the plunger? Then the gearbox will have to come out as the access plug to remove it is behind it on the rear of the crankcase
Paul
Last edited by Ozmadman on Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Ozmadman

Re: AJS 14 CSR 250

Post by Ozmadman »

Here is the picture I mentioned previously (courtesy of cBranni) which was posted in another thread, I just added the arrow and caption. Make sure the pin edges are square and not rounded at all and when you assemble it the NARROWER end goes in the bolt and the wide end is the part that engages in the slot in the pump shaft. You may have to wiggle things about about a bit to get the pin to drop into the slot in the shaft so gently tighten the bolt but if it locks up whilst the bolt is not fully home undo it, as the pin hasn't engaged in the slot properly, and try again until the pin drops fully home.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed