FB-AJS Rotax? Can you help identify this bike

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
jhalfpen

FB-AJS Rotax? Can you help identify this bike

Post by jhalfpen »

Hi
Can you help identify this bike? The Rotax engine was supplied to Armstrong Motorcycles in 1982/3 but the chassis (I'm told) looks like a Fluff Brown AJS or FB-AJAY? The tank and seat look very Armstrong-like but they are not the same as the items fitted to the '83 onwards Armstrong Monoshock motocross bikes
Any ideas?
Thanks
John
SLR_0117.JPG
SLR_0124.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: FB-AJS Rotax? Can you help identify this bike

Post by 242017 »

Armstrong bought out CCM in around 1980......So I am pretty sure it is what you described it as an "Armstrong"
To my knowledge Fluff brown was not involved in these bikes.....So its a CCM in all but name.....CCM bought back the factory and name later on.....
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 242017 »

Further to my previous letter......If you look at the book " Rolling Thunder" the story of CCM you will see your bike on page 101 being ridden by Bob Wright......I have by the way one transfer for one side of the petrol tank if you are interested
Best Wishes Geoff
jhalfpen

Post by jhalfpen »

Hi
Thanks for all your input.
Couple of things:
Does anyone have a right hand side view of the red devil model showing the air box? The airboxes on my 82 & 83 Armstrongs are completely different from the one on the mystery bike?
I have a copy of the Rolling Thunder book, but no pic of Bob Wright on a twinshock motocross bike on page 101. My copy is dated 2008 and I guess is first edition - is there another edition?
Thanks
John
jhalfpen

Post by jhalfpen »

Ps
There's a very grainy picture of a FB-AJS on www.ozebook.com/f.html under "fb-ajay" which has a very similar looking frame but mono shock rear end. The frame tubes around the swing arm pivot and footrest arrangement is/are virtually identical to my bike...
jhalfpen

Post by jhalfpen »

242017 wrote:Further to my previous letter......If you look at the book " Rolling Thunder" the story of CCM you will see your bike on page 101 being ridden by Bob Wright......I have by the way one transfer for one side of the petrol tank if you are interested
Best Wishes Geoff
Hi Geoff
Thanks for the info. - I would be interested in the transfer.
Regards
John

Post by 242017 »

Hello John,
Send me a private message and I will give you my adress
jhalfpen

Post by jhalfpen »

242017 wrote:Hello John,
Send me a private message and I will give you my adress
Hi Geoff
I can't send PMs yet as I have only just joined this forum. If you email me at john.halfpenny'at'halfpenny.net I can email you back. (The 'at' should be replaced with @)
I'd also be interested in seeing the Bob Wright picture - my copy of Rolling Thunder doesn't have a picture on page 101, so I guess it's a different edition
Thanks

John