Oily plug

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Oily plug

Post by Ozmadman »

Julian_S wrote:Gaskets cost pence!Julian
Yep! I know, just had a problem before until I flatted down the flange, so hopefully it will be ok now with a new gasket and, sod the expense, a new o ring as well!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Paul, Your bike could be running better now than when it was new. I know it was a long time ago, but did you not have to regulary clean plugs and was it after not much more than 1,000 miles you had to pull the engine apart for a de-coke.
Fuel then was more like burning coal, and who cared about a bit of extra oil burning, after you poured in a good measure of Castrol R. in with the pertrol + a couple of shots of redex. In your misspent youth you never fussed, you never knew how to, or had money in your pocket to be fussy with. Now 50 years later after all that miss use, the old bike still keeps going. My 2 most reliable bikes have never had new bits, always old used parts straight off the jumble stall, no new valves, guides, pistons, points jets slides etc, etc. Just the odd new gasket. I once gave my 55G3LS a nice new carb slide, it was soon dumped and the old put back again, and that was in 1990, so the old has done another 23 years and few 1,000 miles, rattles on tickover, but so did my nearly new bike in the 50's
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

?
Yep! I know, just had a problem before until I flatted down the flange, so hopefully it will be ok now with a new gasket and, sod the expense, a new o ring as well!!

NO now there is never a GASKET and an "O" ring on the Carb flange .
ONE or the OTHER only PLEASE .
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bike,s and Scooter,s .
Insured with PETER JAMES .
r w webb

Post by 1608 »

I would be more concerned about the oily plug than the rich mixture. If the carb has been renovated why flat the flange. If the flange has warped ( due to over-tightening) the the carb body has also warped.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

rex.webb wrote: NO now there is never a GASKET and an "O" ring on the Carb flange .
ONE or the OTHER only PLEASE .
Sorry, to clarify, o ring carb to spacer and then gasket spacer to head

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

1608 wrote:I would be more concerned about the oily plug than the rich mixture. If the carb has been renovated why flat the flange. If the flange has warped ( due to over-tightening) the the carb body has also warped.
The flange was "flatted" before the carb was sent away and has since been reamed out with an oversize slide fitted so should be ok now

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:Paul, Your bike could be running better now than when it was new. I know it was a long time ago, but did you not have to regulary clean plugs and was it after not much more than 1,000 miles you had to pull the engine apart for a de-coke.
Fuel then was more like burning coal, and who cared about a bit of extra oil burning, after you poured in a good measure of Castrol R. in with the pertrol + a couple of shots of redex. In your misspent youth you never fussed, you never knew how to, or had money in your pocket to be fussy with. Now 50 years later after all that miss use, the old bike still keeps going. My 2 most reliable bikes have never had new bits, always old used parts straight off the jumble stall, no new valves, guides, pistons, points jets slides etc, etc. Just the odd new gasket. I once gave my 55G3LS a nice new carb slide, it was soon dumped and the old put back again, and that was in 1990, so the old has done another 23 years and few 1,000 miles, rattles on tickover, but so did my nearly new bike in the 50's
Thanks Rob for the reminder, puts things into perspective. I remember an old bantam I had in 1970 that wouldn't start after a run if left a while so out came the plug, in went some neat petrol from my mates old BSA C15 and off it went until next time and you did a decoke in the road in about 15 minutes, those were the days!!!
Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8