Alternator adaptor- dynamo crank

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

a term applied to a good honest reliable bike , that always hets you out of trouble but does not win the trophy hunters awards at meetings
wilko

Post by wilko »

Horse talk!!
ianmac

Re: Alternator adaptor- dynamo crank

Post by ianmac »

Hi

My name is Ian, from Brisbane Australia. I have just registered for this forum.

I am presently doing up a G11 - Matchless Twin 1958.
Trying to fit an alternator bought from Paul Goff in Britain, found I need an adaptor shaft, does any one know where i can purchase one or does any one have a drawing that I could use to make one.
I think the internal thread in the crankshaft is 5/8" British cycle thread (20TPI).
Also wondering is the relief valve machined into the shaft, as is in the dynamo version.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Paul Goff sells sells the Alton alternator which is a straight swap with the dynamo on a G9 /G11.
It goes on the front of the crankcase, so no need to mess around with crankshaft converters.
How come you went down this this route ?
Sam
ianmac

Post by ianmac »

Hi Sam,
thanks for your reply. I am a little confused, as the alternator goes on the end of the crank shaft and the dynamo is generally driven off a gear from the timing gears which is in the front of the cylinders, not on the crank shaft.

Do you know if Paul Goff supplies this shaft? The prior owner of my motorcycle started to go down this path.

Ian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ianmac wrote:Hi

found I need an adaptor shaft, does any one know where i can purchase one or does any one have a drawing that I could use to make one.
Welcome, Ian.
g80csp11 ( see his post above) has just made an adapter for his G11. Suggest you email him as he may be able to provide a drawing.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Ian , I have a drawing if it helps , but was also going to get some manufactured as my G11 also has an alternator and no dynamo ( 1958)
I'm in the process of rebuilding mine this week
email me and I can send you the drawing , how desperate are you ? , can you wait until I have some manufactured ?

It would be useful to know who else might be interested, as at the minute I'll only get a few made
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

ianmac wrote:Hi Sam,
thanks for your reply. I am a little confused, as the alternator goes on the end of the crank shaft and the dynamo is generally driven off a gear from the timing gears which is in the front of the cylinders, not on the crank shaft.
Ian
The Alton Alternator is a straight swap for the dynamo which is driven off the timing gears in front of the cylinder. The fact that you are looking for a crankshaft converter suggests that you have a dynamo G11 not an Alternator model. So why not just do the simple thing and use this ?
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyaltons.htm
cheers
Sam
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Sam I think you missed the bit where he said he had an alternator timing side crankcase. So no dynamo hole or machining for the dynamo case. Dave.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Samuel wrote: So why not just do the simple thing and use this ?
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/goffyaltons.htm
cheers
Perhaps the small matter of £400?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'