Model 30 back to life after long sleep

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
kernow kid

Model 30 back to life after long sleep

Post by kernow kid »

Hi folks,
I have very recently acquired a 1957 Model 30 600 twin, in good original condition, unmolested as far as I can tell, but been dry stored for about 20 years.
She has magneto and dynamo. The obvious I can sort...thoroughly clean the carb, check gearbox oil and clutch oil level..

Currently I have a 59 model 16, which has alternator and electronic ignition. So, before I leap in and try to start her up....

My questions are:

Engine oil...drain old oil with it cold and refill with something just to get a run? Any other advice?

Magneto... been a few years since I sold my 31 CSR, so whats suggested to check before I fire up?

Any other suggestions?

Im planning an oily rag restoration...if its good enough for the President, who am I to argue!

Shall I post some pics?

Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Model 30 back to life after long sleep

Post by saltbox alf »

1 Yes, 2 check points gap and clean, new plugs and fresh fuel (is tank rusty inside?)
If it is free to turn over, with fresh oil, plugs out, I would turn the engine quite a few times to get a bit of oil circulating. I would also take off the rocker covers and pour some oil over the top end and let it drain down . check valves open and close and don't stick. plus gaps.
I would drop a bit of oil in the barrels too, might fowl the plugs when you have a go , but better than a harsh few moments for the bores.
Clean carb , float bowl at least.
Then good luck, lets see some pics.

I am not sure but there is a pressure release valve on the crancase, best make sure thats not stuck, others will perhaps have some more thoughts .
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Thanks Alf,
That covered a few things I hadnt thought of. Will be a week or two before we get to it...pics to appear soonish...
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Don't for get to change the air in the tyres.
Roy
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Are you scrounging the old air????
Stan Palmer

Post by Stan Palmer »

Nice to see you back Tony, youv'e been asleep almost as long as that old bike !

Stan
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Yes, please post some before and after pictures.
Sam
kernow kid

Post by kernow kid »

Hi guys, sorry for delay...this post got moved from HELP to the G11/model 30 specific area...I thought Id been deleted!
Sorry Roy, Im keeping the air...after all, I am Cornish... ;) Although Im shortly to send you £30 for a V5 please!
Thanks Stan....yes..starting my own business...kids...etc...but this 600 has got me back in the groove.
Once Ive got a tow hitch on the van, cleared out the garage, sorted the bike trailer....it'll be at Chez Kernow and pics will arrive.
Also planning a little tech article for the Jampot...my mate has one of those ultrasonic bubble tanks for cleaning delicates, so Im planning to see how it performs on a Mk1 Concentric thats been untouched for 20 years.

:) :)
OLD SHEP

Post by OLD SHEP »

Hi Kernow Kid. I know it's a long time since your post but any updates on progress? The reason I noticed your post is that my 1956 Model 30 is Cornish registered (WCV 730) and I wondered if yours has a similar reg. It would be strange if mine is Cornish reg but lives in Devon and yours the other way round. Cheers..............Chris