Fitting new tank rubbers/bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Rob Harknett

Re: Fitting new tank rubbers/bolts

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like you do not have correct fittings. Bolt heads are already drilled for wiring them on.
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.05.04_10h52m33s_001_.png
You should just be able to see the drill holes in the above bolts, to wire them onto the tank lug.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Richard

From the description of you new alloy tank I would assume that it is a competition type that uses the later 1960 on method of fixing, that seems to be confirmed in your last post. You are okay using self-locking nuts (I think the centre web bearing lock nuts off of a twin are the correct size) on these but don't leave them too loose otherwise the tank will slide about on the fixing brackets.

Once the inner steel sleeve was added to the tank mounting rubbers (shown in Robs picture) it was okay to tighten them fully as the sleeve limits the travel of the bolt and prevents it from going through the bottom of the tank, it was the earlier (1940's) models that you need to be more careful with and lock wire on.
Richard Norris

Post by Richard Norris »

Thanks for that, makes sense of what I have. Will post a photo if I can; previously it's told me there is too much info.
Richard
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Duncan wrote:Richard

Once the inner steel sleeve was added to the tank mounting rubbers (shown in Robs picture) it was okay to tighten them fully as the sleeve limits the travel of the bolt and prevents it from going through the bottom of the tank, it was the earlier (1940's) models that you need to be more careful with and lock wire on.
That matches my Norton experiences.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Richard, perhaps your picture files were too large, if you have problems resizing, send a pic to me on prewar@jampot.com and I will resize, crop or what ever and post the pic for you. Maybe you could just crop the pic leaving just the important part, reducing the file size.