I told you I would have some stupid questions....

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
iansoady

Re: I told you I would have some stupid questions....

Post by iansoady »

I've just taken a picture of the stand in the stowed position:
prop stand retracted.jpg
but I must say it looks very much like the picture in the catalogue that I've downloaded:
stand from brochure.jpg
<edit>

Have now measured it and it is approx 9.5 inches from the centre of the pivot to the start of the foot, which is itself around 2" long so overall near enough the 11.5" quoted by Spriddler. It does butt up against the pad on the frame when down and looks OK when stowed, tucking in quite neatly (much more so than the one on my A10 used to anyway).

I've had to put a plank around 1.5" thick on the garage floor under the enhanced foot and it's still leaning as much as I'd expect......

On a brighter note I've managed to get the Norton type oil filter off (looks as if it was fitted by a plumber.....) and after wearing myself out kicking the engine over I'm rewarded by some oil returning so it looks as though that worry was unfounded. I'll soon find something else.

</edit>
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Rob Harknett

Re: I told you I would have some stupid questions....

Post by Rob Harknett »

It may look almost correct when not in use, although it does appear to be not fitted on a lug in the correct pissition. Also does not open in the correct possition seen in the pic, posted in the pictures section..
I draged out your picture and blew it up, clearly the prop does not fit correctly on the frame lug.
look closely at the opened and closed pic's I posted, also your own stand in use and closed. Theres no need to look very closely with the stand open as it is in about a 45 degree different possition.