18CS

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
charlski

18CS

Post by charlski »

Hi trying to remove a engine from a 1956 AJS 18cs frame ... no wheels sundries etc just frame, it is fitted with a later gearbox, and i need to remove the primary, to get engine out of frame removing the clutch basket is not a problem.., but how do i remove the engine drive, there is a large nut, but i cannot seem to loosen it, is it a left hand or right thread, any suggestions ??

Thanks

KC
Rob Harknett

Re: 18CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

Best way I have found is to do it before removing clutch chain etc. and in gear with wheels in.
The nut should not be siezed, if it is, through being dry insted of oiled, a shap blow on the spanner will loosen it.
I'm sure it's R/H thread.
charlski

Post by charlski »

Cheers Rob, yeah i was kicking myself for taking it down to frame so i couldnt lock the wheels, will give it another go tomorrow !
charlski

Post by charlski »

Seems less is more, i was giving it my all with the spanner which meant the spring behind was tightening up and putting pressure on the nut, a couple of gentle taps with a hammer instead did the trick.

KC
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

bit lost here, my '56 engine is a shortstroke and does'nt have a spring behind the crankshaft sprocket, is this a long stroke G80cs? just wishing to learn, kind regards