Lightweight 250 CS - numbers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
nvmat1

Lightweight 250 CS - numbers

Post by nvmat1 »

Hi. I have some Matchless G2 CS parts and am going to make a bike which will be a part CS / part standard road bike. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how many 250 CS bikes were actually made? I have read that as scramblers they were not competative, being too heavy and underpowered. If this is the case why did they have such a long production run of 4 years - 1959 to 1962, and how did the factory keep selling them? Anyone got any unwanted CS parts so I can make my bike more of a G2CS build? Thanks.
Rob Harknett

Re: Lightweight 250 CS - numbers

Post by Rob Harknett »

The G2CS did not quite run for 4 full years, the fact that by April 1962 they were only available by special order, seems to indicate they were not selling that well. The same applied to the AJS mod 14CS, both marques and all 250 models appear to all share the same numbering series. So only factory records may reveal how many were made.
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

I have a feeling - but can't confirm it, as I can't find the book! - that the number made MAY be mentioned in Roy Bacon's useful "AJS & Matchless - The Post War Models" book. You can probably get it through your local library but it's well worth buying - information is power! Some copies appear on eBay or on Amazon from time to time at a lower cost.

Al
nvmat1 wrote:Hi. I have some Matchless G2 CS parts and am going to make a bike which will be a part CS / part standard road bike. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows how many 250 CS bikes were actually made? I have read that as scramblers they were not competative, being too heavy and underpowered. If this is the case why did they have such a long production run of 4 years - 1959 to 1962, and how did the factory keep selling them? Anyone got any unwanted CS parts so I can make my bike more of a G2CS build? Thanks.
Eamonn
Webmaster

Post by Eamonn »

[quote="Al_Bolton"... Roy Bacon's useful "AJS & Matchless - The Post War Models" book. You can probably get it through your local library but it's well worth buying - information is power! Some copies appear on eBay or on Amazon from time to time at a lower cost.
[/quote]

Go to the main club website at www.ajs-matchless.com, then look under Club and Books - there's a (used) copy available now at £29.99

Quick link: http://www.ajs-matchless.com/Books.asp
Corners like a Lego man
nvmat1

Post by nvmat1 »

Thank you all for your responses. Have the Bacon book so will have a closer look. The fact it was only available to special order by May 1962 is interesting.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

They were probably not selling well,