Alternator Wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G3 or AJS Model 16 350cc Heavyweight
DWS

Alternator Wiring

Post by DWS »

Trying to sort out the Alternator wiring on my 1959 Matchless G3, the wiring diagram shows three wires coming from the Alternator to the Rectifier, via the wiring loom - Dark Green, Light Green and Purple. The problem is the wires coming from my Alternator are Grey, Pale Green and Black/White - see photo below. The numbers on the Alternator are 47122A 3 58 - which according to my 1959 Lucas catalogue, is correct for a 1959 G3.

I'm trying to figure out why the wire colours on the Alternator are different to the wiring diagram and which wires I attach together. Any ideas?

Last edited by DWS on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AFS Matchless Motorcycle Register
Colin F

Re: Alternator Wiring

Post by Colin F »

Take resistance readings between each pair of wires.
The colours on a Lucas stator should be L Green, D Green and Green/Yellow (if you have a very early stator the G/Y might be Mid Green)

The lowest reading will be between Light Green and Dark Green, The highest reading will be between Light Green and G/Y.

Note those colours they will match up to your new loom.
DWS

Post by DWS »

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has this combination of wiring colours on their altenator of a 1959 G3.
DWS

Post by DWS »

Bit of an update on this one. Looking through some paperwork today that came with my bike, I came across a few hand written notes on a copy of a wiring diagram which noted the different colour wires on the alternator and how they should be connected to the loom - all perfectly clear now... :oops:
baronlowie

Post by baronlowie »

on the subject of alternators,I have just fitted a new 6v unit to my ajay,they are on ebay marketed as early royal enfield.total cost £30.40p including post from India! Only slight issue is the o/d of the stator is 1mm smaller than the miller unit it replaced so needs centralising in the housing.rotor fits fine.
baronlowie

Post by baronlowie »

Sorry,typed Miller meant wipac