Chain cover bracket

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
mirangi

Chain cover bracket

Post by mirangi »

1950 Matchless G80S, my inner primary chain cover (sheet metal) has a small tab on the top at the rear, I assume this is to attach it to one of the gearbox or engine plate bolts to hold the back up. I cannot see anything in the parts list for this bracket to attach to, can someone post a picture of this area of the bike.

Possible this chain guard is off a later bike but if so does the 1950 G80S use a different method to hold the back of the chainguard.

Also could PM me if easier.

Appreciate your help

Steve
paul knapp

Re: Chain cover bracket

Post by paul knapp »

I think the part you require is #013840 bracket which one end is bolted (bolt #37-12-H17 with extended head) to the top of inner case bracket you see, the other is fixed to the underside of the battery carrier with a CSK screw ( #ST40. 1/2"X 1BA CSK) These parts are illistrated in parts book.
Paul
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes we have had this all before little strap comes off the battery carrier to the chain case tab.
Make sure you use a counter sunk screw in the bottom of the battery case, or a head would dig into the battery.
The strap is bent a little to arrive at the tab to bolt on flat. See your parts list.
mirangi

Post by mirangi »

Thanks Guys.
I looked at the gearbox and chaincase pages but never thought of the battery carrier.

I can easily make up one of these.

Great help

Thanks,

Steve