1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
ffjmoore

1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case

Post by ffjmoore »

Hello, Im brand new to this forum. I was buying a honda CB750 from a guy the other day and he asked if i knew anybody interested in old british bikes. I have been looking for something british for a while so i had a look. He told me that it was taken apart 20 years ago to be restored. While it was apart getting chromed somebody stole the frame and swing arm. :evil: So it sat in boxes until today. I plan on spending the next few days reading through this forum and deciding what I want to do with it. Best case scenario i find a frame and figure out where all the nuts and bolts go and restore the thing. Worst case its parted out, but that is my last resort.
Here are the pictures of all the parts i got. He also gave me what i believe is a pre unit triumph frame.
http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g276/ ... JS%201954/
clive

Re: 1954 AJS Model 18 Basket case

Post by clive »

Having trouble with the photos, not all seem to load but my computer is playing up, so apologies if some comments irrelevant. 1954 AJS swinging arm frame should be relatively easy to buy, pay a bit extra and get one with a dating cert already supplied. ( I got a 1951 front frame and swing arm recently for £75 with dating cert ) Petrol tank, mudguards, and oil tanks are all possible to get but especially the mudguards at a high price. Looks like timing side covers are missing. Wheels and mag are correct for a 54 500 single (front hub that year only). One tool box, dynamo and forks missing?
Certainly a possible rebuild but there seems to be a lot to buy and costs do tend to be much more than you think for simple stuff like cables etc. A nice project though if you got it a good price.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Some good advice from Clive, parts could be found but cost to rebuild the bike to concours could be more than its eventual market value.
A 1954 model 18S standard 500 single You should I believe be looking for a frame in which the number will fall in a series starting 24230 to 26454, the series is shared with standard road models for AJS or Matchless singles and twins. A twin frame will have the head steady bracket welded on the front down tube. Theres no differece betwen AJS and Matchless, but do check with the club dating officer to confirm what you may intend to buy. Your first action should be to get a 1954 singles parts list and manual perhaps also a sales cat.
You have shown a pic of a casting no. the engine no looks OK, frame number will be found on the right hand side, at the back end of the tube running under the petrol tank.
ffjmoore

Post by ffjmoore »

What do you guys think about this. Is it done, repairable or do i need to replace it?
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It was probably still working before the bike was stripped, but it's knackered and should be replaced.
You'd have to split the flywheels to replace the axle, then true the f/wheels up very accurately when reassembling. Not technically difficult if you have appropriate equipment and skills.
However, looking at the photos there's a lot of work, expense and hours needed and from my experience you'll find more work that needs doing (ought to be done) whilst the crankcase is split; bushes, bearings etc. and when reassembling the rest of the bike.
Before you strip th'engine check for wear in the main bearings (2 needed @ £25 each), timing side bush (£35 + reaming), and big end assy (circa £230). All plus shipping costs.
Unless you are very keen to locate the missing parts, frame etc. and dedicate a fair bit of time and money (possibly more than the 'finished' bike is worth) in order to use it it may be sensible to sell it as it is.
Sad, I know, but realistic.
One of this club's gurus, Don Madden, is in California. :?:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

I am told "BIG END " Assembly,s are i SHORT SUPPLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That could be a problem ?????????????
RIDE with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY yor Bike,s and Scooter,s.
Insured with Peter James
r w webb
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

rex.webb wrote:I am told "BIG END " Assembly,s are i SHORT SUPPLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was told that Father Christmas didn't exist.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Club Parts Service has a stock of big end assemblies - no shortage at the moment as far as we are aware.
clive

Post by clive »

Well I would still use that drive shaft, but bitter experience tells me they break once they have reached about 1/3 left, and that one is 2/3 so it really depends on what mileage you are expecting from the bike. If it is 500 to 800 a year it will last quite a few years, if its 6,000 a year replace it. If you keep it don't waste money on a new drive cam as it will wear out very quickly on a worn shaft, just accept a worn shaft needs a worn cam and that means a bit of slack and rattle, all part of the wonders of a 60 year old bike in my view.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ffjmoore

Post by ffjmoore »

My plan for now is going to be to part out Everything but the motor. I always wanted to build a small custom hardtail with a british motor but never want to destroy a bike to build it. So since this bike is already beyond restoring ill see if i can at least salvage the motor to build a bike.

It would be nice to start with at least the front of a frame to use a as a template for measurements of mounting points. I also am missing the Dynamo and the metal brackets that hold it to the motor, as well as piston rings and inner primary cover. One of these days ill get the motor back out and do a dry assembly to see what im missing.

As for the crank shaft im not building a daily rider. Just something to ride around town on occasion and take to shows. I usually build cafe racers out of Hondas but want something different. Here is a bike I am currently working on.