CSR OIL PIPES

Information relating to the Matchless G11 or AJS Model 30 600cc twin
moley

CSR OIL PIPES

Post by moley »

HI ALL, I HAVE A 58 G11CSR (SPORTS FRAME )AND JUST FITTED EXHAUST SYSTEM WHICH IS IN THE TYPE THAT FITS INSIDE THE COMPETITION FOOTRESTS, there doesnt seem to be any room for the oil pipe closest to the front wheel. has anyone body a piccy of the bike so i can see how the oil pipes are fixed.. cheers andy
Don Madden

CSR OIL PIPES

Post by Don Madden »

Any CSR should have the straight pipe with touring footpeg outside, CS models were fitted with pipe kinked up over comp footrests. In any case, there are two photos of 1957 & 1959 CS twins showing the R/H side in the Photos section of Christian's Archives that show the path of the pipes. If you have difficulty seeing them, I saved them on my computer. Cheers, Don.
clive

Re: CSR OIL PIPES

Post by clive »

I am reviving this thread as I have a problem with the routing of the oil pipes on my 1958 G11CS. Very tight to exhaust pipe (straight through above the comp footrests) and I struggled to get any clearance between the oil pipes and the exhaust pipe. I thought I had got enough clearance but on removing the exhaust pipe after about 1300 miles I find the plastic sleeve protecting the pipes has melted. Melted a strip right along it. Looked for photos that Don referred to in Christian's archives but cannot find them.
Were the twins ever fitted with copper oil pipes as with the singles? I am thinking this would make it easier to bend and route the pipes away from the exhaust although I think the bore is different so I would have to source some pipe and then solder into the engine joint. The other end could be joined by part of the rubber pipe to the oil tank allowing the in-line filter to be retained. I would prefer to know what I am doing wrong with the routing.
Many thanks
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
moley

Post by moley »

I dont think you are doing anything wrong, on that model the oil pipes are blimin tight. I have seen a few where the restorer angles the oil pipes away from the oil tank and then redirect them under the engine..Looks bloody awful though !!!

Yes they did copper like like the singles, i did just manage as you say with some scrtaching head and bending pipe !!!

Cheers
clive

Post by clive »

Andrew thanks for the reply, what pipe did you use? I am thinking 15mm copper water pipe but it might be a bit thin walled.
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

1958 G11 used 1/2" copper pipe, only rubber to connect with Oil Tank, it is a very tight fit around the Exhaust Pipe.
If you are interested I can send you some Pictures
clive

Post by clive »

pictures please! Thought the rubber was too tight but it came with the basket case.
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

Pictures of the feed Oil Pipe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clive

Post by clive »

many thanks, now just have to source the 1/2 inch pipe, looks to be thick walled similar to the single pipes.
clive
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

3/8" hole in Pipe
Poul