GS80 engine numbers?

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Colin F

Re: GS80 engine numbers?

Post by Colin F »

soef wrote:The oil tank what you mean is that is in this model the airbox .
The oil tank is on the left side of the bike and the airbox right.

The numbers in the crankcases are 017385 L 47TY
017386 V 29G55

The photo's oft the bike make i so soon as possible!
If the oil tank is on the left I would suggest some sort of competition set up? All road bikes I can think of have oil tank on right (but will stand corrected!)

I haven't got my parts list to hand, but I'm sure someone will have to check the years those part numbers were used. BUT I would suggest that they are not a pair as the QC marks are different.

I heard/ read somewhere that sometimes an un stamped crank case was sent out to a dealer to repair a damaged bike, the idea was that the dealer restamped the original number on them. I have also heard the same happened with frames (DVLA would have a fit about that now a days!)
soef

Post by soef »

I have a some pair of cranckcases whit the same numbering inside
and a nother engine's all the left cases have the same numbering and the richt one also inside. L side (017385) R side (017386)

Thanks for answers!
soef

Post by soef »

We have some information maybe some one photo's of a site whit a some kind of model in orginal model!
verkle.JPG
verkl.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

? ?
Air Cleaner Box and Oil Tank are surley Speciall,s .
ONE OF,s .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to enjoy YOUR Bike,s and Scooter,s .
r w webb
TommoT

Post by TommoT »

The frame is single downtube, vertical seat tube, short bottom rails = 1956 - 1959 frame. Oil tank and toolbox are larger than factory spec., so homemade. Burman B52 gearbox, this changed to AMC in 1957, so my guess would be 1956 frame. But then again engine plates also look slightly out of shape, and if they are specials too, the gearbox may not be a reliable ID. The forks fit period, even if slightly bent. Knobly tires indicate offroad use of some kind, maybe the "customization" originates from this type of use. If the frame is 1956 you should be able to scrape off paint to reveal a frame number, just under the tip of the seat on the vertical tube.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

My immediate observations that I would suggest it is some form of competition model because:-
1, the oil tank on "wrong" side and airfilter not a tool box.
2. the bridge between the top of the rear suspension.
3 rear loop rail supporting the mudguard.

As it is a single downtube frame it is probably pre 1960, the fact that it has "girlings" not Jampots would suggest it is 1957 or later.
The Burman box would suggest it pre 1958 (unless comp bikes used then later?)

I don't think you said EXACTLY where the frame number is, it should be on the headstock on a frame of this age and start with the letter "A".

I will leave further comments to those more knowledgeable on comp machinery.
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

The rear frame and bottom rails are in one piece look at the first picture,only 57- 59 competition frame. Petrol tank one bolt through frame at rear, only 57-59 competition frame. This type of frame was delivered with AMC gearbox.
Poul
soef

Post by soef »

Hi

Have any ony one for me photo's or a site whit a bike in orginal color

Thanks for answers and support!

Soef
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

The Stand ?
What year did this become a Standard item ?
r w webb
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

1956 all models had jampot shocks & separate bottom rails. Touring frames would have "pannier" oil tank & the number stamped on R/H side of steering head, beginning with "A". 1956 comp would have "lumpy", oil tank & frame number on steering post in front, beginning with "C". !957-59 all models would have the pannier tank on R/H side & frame number stamped on steering head but comp model lower rails incorporated into rear subsection. Cheers, Don.