clutch problem?

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
active997

clutch problem?

Post by active997 »

Hi,
I was trying to fix the clutch cable today. And i found the part (in red) loose. You can move it easily with your hand. Is something broken :( ?

Cheers
Andreas
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Al_Bolton

Re: clutch problem?

Post by Al_Bolton »

Yes, it's the clutch pushrod actuating arm - it is possible to move the arm when it's not connected to the cable - when the cable is fitted and the clutch is properly adjusted as per the manual you shouldn't be able to pull the actuating arm back. If I remember correctly...there should be a ball-bearing under the arm. Make sure you oil the clutch cable before fitting it - they can seize easily and I put some grease around the hole where the clutch cable enters the gearbox or water can enter there. Silicone sealant is good too.
Al
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi Al,
Please send me pm to activec2@hotmail.com so i can send you some pictures of the mudguard. Im from Cyprus btw. I was studying in Uk for many years :) Ican arrange to send it to you.
About the clutch, so is nothing wrong with that arm?!! I was wondering because is too loose! To see if there is a ball ring i need move the arm etc?
My silencer look strange? Maybe is not the original ? I will order new pipe and silencer.
Im trying to be a full member of the club because i cannot reply to your pm.
Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Hi Al,
Please send me pm to activec2@hotmail.com so i can send you some pictures of the mudguard. Im from Cyprus btw. I was studying in Uk for many years :) Ican arrange to send it to you.
About the clutch, so is nothing wrong with that arm?!! I was wondering because is too loose! To see if there is a ball ring i need move the arm etc?
My silencer look strange? Maybe is not the original ? I will order new pipe and silencer.
Im trying to be a full member of the club because i cannot reply to your pm.
Andreas
Further to Al's comment, just make sure the housing that holds the clutch arm is tight and that it hasn't itself come loose as that will also give you a lot of play in the arm, it probably hasn't but it's worth checking. If it has you will need to tighten the locking ring that holds the housing in place, it's a bit fiddly but you should be able to do it through the inspection plate without taking the outer cover of the gearbox off. If the clutch does need adjusting (have you started the bike and tried to put it in gear?) then this is done from the LH side of the engine. If you need to do it and don't have a manual let me know and I will copy the page and mail it to you. To find out if there is a ball inside that cover you will need to remove it completely. I have done this with the side covers off but never attempted it through the inspection plate ,a risky business as things may drop into the box so I would presume the ball is in there, adjust the clutch and go from there. AND MAKE SURE WHEN YOU FILL THE BOX WITH OIL (3 PINTS) THAT YOU FILL IT RIGHT UP TO THE THE BOTTOM OF THE INSPECTION PLATE AND USE A GOOD GASKET THERE TO STOP ANY LEAKS, VERY IMPORTANT!!! failure to do this could damage the box due to lack of oil..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Post by active997 »

Thanks for your info Paul,
I will check if it loose because i have a lot of play in the arm. I really didn't understand the purpose of that arm yet ;)I thought that that arm should be very tight, With the clutch adjusted, in what position that arm should be? No i didn't start the engine yet. Can you recommend a good oil? I will add oi from the right side of the engine (front hole) ?! Yes Paul, i will appreciate if you could send me page.

Andreas
active997

Post by active997 »

The arm is absolutely loose, there is nothing there to keep it left or right. I thought that it should be something to keep it right.

Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote: I will check if it loose because i have a lot of play in the arm. I really didn't understand the purpose of that arm yet ;)I thought that that arm should be very tight, With the clutch adjusted, in what position that arm should be? No i didn't start the engine yet. Can you recommend a good oil? I will add oi from the right side of the engine (front hole) ? + The arm is absolutely loose, there is nothing there to keep it left or right. I thought that it should be something to keep it right.
Andreas
Ok, first things first... The purpose of the arm is to actuate the clutch when you pull the handlebar lever in. The cable pulls on the arm which then pushes(via that ball bearing) the long rod behind the arm.. This goes right through the centre of the main shaft. At the other end there is an adjuster (small threaded rod)(part no 040360)and locknut (040376) which is threaded into the clutch. The long rod pushes against this adjuster when you pull the handlebar lever in and disengages the clutch (so it is has briefly disconnected the engine from the gearbox to allow a change of gear. Once the handlebar lever is released, the long rod returns to it's original position, the friction between the clutch plates returns thereby re-connecting, if you like, the engine and gearbox and off you go.

So, is the play in the arm just backwards and forwards play or can you rotate the whole arm and aluminium housing? Without the cable attached the arm itself will have loads of play in it but it shouldn't rotate. If it does rotate then it's the housing that's rotating. The housing pushes into the gearbox casing and is held tight by a threaded locking ring. To stop it rotating there is a groove in the housing and there should be a small pin in the gearbox casing which locates in the groove, this not only stops any rotation but locks the housing in the correct position. If it's just "arm" play then take the cable off and try to manually push the arm inwards to see if you can feel any tension(it will be hard to push against the clutch springs but you may be able to get some movement) If the arm just goes all the way and hits the housing then something is wrong.. Could be even be a missing or broken clutch rod and will need further investigation. If it appears that the arm/rod is pressing against the clutch then try to adjust if as per the instructions in the pictures with this message(you can get to it through the upper inspection plug in the primary chain housing). There was not too much on clutch adjustment in the manual so I have put it on here. The picture is Fig 28 mentioned in the dialogue and the adjuster and locknut they mention is right over on the left hand side of the picture on the outside of the clutch.. Good luck Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozmadman on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Can you recommend a good oil? I will add oi from the right side of the engine (front hole) ?
Andreas
Considering you are in Cyprus (warm most of the time?) then I would use any decent SAE 50 (straight not multi grade) engine oil, This goes in the front hole in the RH side of the engine . When you look into the hole(use a torch if need be) you will see a small hole in the engine casing, this is the oil return hole. Fill the oil up to just under this hole,(about 2 and 1/2 pints)start the engine up (once you have the clutch sorted just in case) and make sure you have oil coming out of that hole, it may take a few moments to start but just check that you have a return flow. re-check once again after a short run whilst it is hot and top up if necessary. THE GEARBOX OIL IS SEPARATE... top this up through the plate that you took off the check the clutch arm as per the instructions in a previous message.(3 pints and wait for it to run down but 3 pints will go in if completely empty). I use Putoline 80w/90 heavy duty gear oil, equivalent to SAE 50 according to my local bike dealer who has been working on bikes. his dad then him for the last 60 years or so..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
active997

Post by active997 »

Thank you very much All for your very helpfull info. I think is only the arm that is play (loose backwords and forwords) but i wiil check it tommorow and let you know. So i will push the arm NOT forwards or backwards (left/right) but inwards.
I will also send you some pictures of the mudguard.
Thanks again All.