G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by shropshire lad »

Thanks Richard, It.s all sorted now.

Alan
active997

Re: G5 Fuel Tank fit

Post by active997 »

jajo57 wrote:Alan,

I've recently completed a complete restoration on a Model 8 and encountered the problems you've mentioned. If you'd like to send me a private message including your e-mail address I'll get some pictures to you.

Richard
Hi Richard,
Could you please send me some pictures please? I have the same problem ;/
active997

Post by active997 »

Hi,
Can anyone send me some pictures that shows how to fit the petrol tank rubbers and washers :roll: ?

Thanks in advance.

Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Hi,
Can anyone send me some pictures that shows how to fit the petrol tank rubbers and washers :roll: ?

Thanks in advance.

Andreas
Is the tank correct, this is mine. As for the rubbers... put the thick rubbers on top of the bracket and rest the tank on them, push the metal tube into the rubbers from underneath, put the thin rubbers underneath the bracket, then the large metal washers, then the bolts. When it is tightened up properly I have about 1/4" clearance on full lock and the h/bars just about clear the tank centre chrome strip in the central position.

Paul
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Post by active997 »

Thank you very much Paul for your help. :)
In the back of the tank we use thin rubber?.

Andreas
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

At the back of the tank is a nasty T-shaped bar that falls out of that slot you can see (wrap it in insulating tape, that helps to keep it in the slot). The end of the T-bar is threaded. It goes through a thick rubber which fits between the frame (there's an O-shaped hole) and the tank. On the other side of the hole is another thickish rubber and a thick metal washer, then a nut. Horrible thing but it works. If the nut lossens off, my tank starts to drum badly, so i sue a bit of Loctite on the nut.

Al

active997 wrote:Thank you very much Paul for your help. :)
In the back of the tank we use thin rubber?.

Andreas
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Al_Bolton wrote:At the back of the tank is a nasty T-shaped bar that falls out of that slot you can see (wrap it in insulating tape, that helps to keep it in the slot).

Al
The T shaped bit should go into the slot and then turned adjacent to the slot and tightened up. There should be no need of tape as if turned enough there is no way the bar can come out of the slot. I have removed and fitted my tank loads of times and no problems, it is a bit fiddly getting the bar to turn in the slot (it needs to have lots of up and down movement) but once it is in and turned as I said, it won't come out once tightened up

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Al_Bolton

Post by Al_Bolton »

Absolutely NOT my experience, Paul! On the 4 tanks I have, it always managed to come out when I was doing up the nut on the end of the T piece, even though the T was in the correct place. Mind you, these tanks don't have such a thick coat of paint as yours does and the T pieces can turn without locking into place.

So my advice stands - if it comes out of your tank, a bit of tape won't hurt.
Ozmadman wrote:
Al_Bolton wrote:At the back of the tank is a nasty T-shaped bar that falls out of that slot you can see (wrap it in insulating tape, that helps to keep it in the slot).

Al
The T shaped bit should go into the slot and then turned adjacent to the slot and tightened up. There should be no need of tape as if turned enough there is no way the bar can come out of the slot. I have removed and fitted my tank loads of times and no problems, it is a bit fiddly getting the bar to turn in the slot (it needs to have lots of up and down movement) but once it is in and turned as I said, it won't come out once tightened up

Paul
active997

Post by active997 »

Thanks for your replies.
Im will order the parts for the fuel tank. I have found the below codes:

000364 Bolt,fixing petrol tank front x 2
014996 Rubber, thin petrol tank front fixing bolt x2
014999 washer, petrol tank x 4
044244 Bolt fixing petrol tank rear x1
044216 Sleve petrol tank rear fixing bolt x1
000004 Nut petrol tank rear fixing bolt x2
014995 petrol tank mounting rubber thick x4
Do i need anything else ?

By the i have some (Thick) rubber . 5/8" Thick and with a 3/8" hole and (Thin). 1/4 inch thick with a 3/8 inch hole. Is it the correct?

Cheers
Andreas