Oil Change help please!

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Cappo

Oil Change help please!

Post by Cappo »

Hello all. I bought my G5 over a year ago, but a house move and a busy job means that it hasn't seen a lot of action since. However, subject to a headlamp bulb arriving this week, it'll be MOTd shortly and raring to go.

Except - I definitely need to do some oil changing first. Now, I'm fairly competent with a bag of spanners but the G5 lump is new to me. I've got a copy of the manual and unless I'm missing something, it seems to simply say "change the oil" and "clean the filter"

So: at the front and on top of the RHS of the engine (as you sit on it) there's a filler cap - engine oil??

On the front LHS, near the centre but to the left, is an Allen-headed domed bolt. Oil filter?

If the above are correct, then what I need to know is where to drain and fill the gearbox, and likewise for the chain case (I think this is via the small cover on the LH side?)

Sorry that those are fairly dunce-like questions but just want to identify the correct holes, in and out!

Thanks.
Rob Harknett

Oil Change help please!

Post by Rob Harknett »

www.archives.jampot.dk
Look here for Owners manuals, workshop manuals & parts lists.
All your questions are answered in the books. If you look under the bike gearbox and sump drain plugs should be easy to spot. If you can see small items on exploded drawings, they are good enought to hit the + key and zoom in on to see more clearly.
Cappo

Oil Change help please!

Post by Cappo »

Thanks Rob. I'll have a look - the diagrams I saw previously were not at all clear.

cbranni has sent me a PM with really useful details on my queries above, which was much appreciated.
wilko

Oil Change help please!

Post by wilko »

Make sure you ask Itma what oil to use!
Ozmadman

Oil Change help please!

Post by Ozmadman »

quote:
Hello all. I bought my G5 over a year ago, but a house move and a busy job means that it hasn't seen a lot of action since. However, subject to a headlamp bulb arriving this week, it'll be MOTd shortly and raring to go.

Except - I definitely need to do some oil changing first. Now, I'm fairly competent with a bag of spanners but the G5 lump is new to me. I've got a copy of the manual and unless I'm missing something, it seems to simply say "change the oil" and "clean the filter"

So: at the front and on top of the RHS of the engine (as you sit on it) there's a filler cap - engine oil??

On the front LHS, near the centre but to the left, is an Allen-headed domed bolt. Oil filter?

If the above are correct, then what I need to know is where to drain and fill the gearbox, and likewise for the chain case (I think this is via the small cover on the LH side?)

Sorry that those are fairly dunce-like questions but just want to identify the correct holes, in and out!

Thanks.

Correct..correct gearbox drain is by the rh footrest(small bolt at the bottom of the gearbox housing) and to fill remove the inspection oval shaped plate with two screws and fill the oil, with the bike level, up to the bottom of the hole(make sure you have a good gasket here. This is important on these boxes as all the workings are near the top of the box and a drop in level too low may damage the box (3 pints). The chaincase drain is about halfway along, a small hex bolt right down low. To refill I would remove the lower large plug with the slot in and fill just over the lower chain run.. Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
active997

Re: Oil Change help please!

Post by active997 »

Hi ozmadman,
Is it possible to send me some details about the oil change?
I have the same questions as you had:/
Thanks
Andreas
My email: activec2@hotmail.com
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

active997 wrote:Hi ozmadman,
Is it possible to send me some details about the oil change?
I have the same questions as you had:/
Thanks
Andreas
My email: activec2@hotmail.com

Hi

Mail sent to you

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

GOOD !!!!!!!!!!
Starting 2013 with NEW OIL .
Thats the way to keep things running as they should .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
Insured with Peter James.
r w webb