Locating plates-front forks

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
rhunter

Locating plates-front forks

Post by rhunter »

1952 AJS mod 18s.............can anybody explain how and where to assemble locating plates in top and bottom cover of front forks...the plates with the three screws..I am completely baffled with this one.....my 1955 model doesn't have them.....Robert
Don Madden

Re: Locating plates-front forks

Post by Don Madden »

In the archives, go to F w Niel "M" 1933-1947 service manual. Under front suspension there is an exploded diagram showing the arrangement of all parts. Yours are similar. Cheers, Don.
mirangi

Re: Locating plates-front forks

Post by mirangi »

Robert,

These are pretty simple in design but difficult to assemble.

First issue is to realise that the holes are not equidistant apart (At least not on the 1950 models). You need to organsise a complete set of parts in the correct orientation so the screws will fit through all parts and screw into the threaded plate.

The assembly order is as shown in the exploded diagram

I find sticking the screws to the screwdriver using hot melt glue works best. Place the upper chrome trim ring on the lower fork clamp and put the top late(with threaded holes) in it, Note orientation, hold the lower fork cover upside down, drop the bottom plate (No threads) into the lower fork cover, put the screw into one of the holes, noting orientation.

Hold the screw by pushing with the screwdriver and invert the lower fork cover.

Push the screw up through the lower fork clamp through the chrome trim and screw it into the top plate.

Tighten up just enough to hold the whole thing steady and then do the other 2 screws, tighten all 3 screws and then you can put the fork tubes in.

Not difficult but a PIA - Easy to see why the British motorcycle industry went down the tube.

Steve