New G80cs owner - rear hub rebuild questions

Information relating to the Matchless G80 or AJS Model 18 500cc Heavyweight.
Hudson

New G80cs owner - rear hub rebuild questions

Post by Hudson »

First time poster/owner. I purchased a "56 G80CS done up as a cafe racer about 6 months ago, part of an estate sale which also had a "58 scrambler my pal bought. The prior owner did a great restoration years ago, using an AMAL GP1 carb, Borani rims, and sourcing a Smith's chrono tach, but the bikes sat for many years without being ridden. They both fired up, and worked great, with the usual leaks you'd expect of a bike that had been stored too long and not ridden.

Here's a folder with pics of both bikes as we picked them up and cleaned and fired them up:
https://skydrive.live.com/#cid=E3214BD5 ... E9A%211234

I had the dreaded speedo drive lock up, and frankly only myself to blame as I likely erred in assembling the speedo gearbox. I destroyed a perfectly nice Smith's OEM gearbox, and in tearing down the rear wheel hub, it looked like the wheel bearing grease had dried up nicely, and the rear bearings are pitted. The Helpliner alias has been super helpful!

Some questions:

1. should I go with the spares replacement rear wheel bearings, or is there a modern replacement? Is the Andrews Engineering bearings a modern sealed unit?

2. Any thoughts on sourcing a Taiwan made 2:1 speedo drive gearbox? I've looked online/ebay, but only finding the Indian replacements.

3. The prior owner used a CB400 petrol tank, but I really want a more original look. I've seen various petrol tank alloy versions out there, but would love any feedback/links.

All advice appreciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: New G80cs owner - rear hub rebuild questions

Post by Rob Harknett »

SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Really, Rob?...
In the link you gave above their advert says:

"You are bidding for a brand new and unused classic look speedo drive assembly for the Royal Enfield Bullet. These are manufactured in India by Harrisons, Sakshi, BSB etc. and are ready for installation on the front or rear wheel".
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

oH dear Neville, see an english sort of name on a product being sold by an english seller.
That is not unusual, we dont make goods here anymore. There should be better chance of receiving the goods if they are already in the country. We would have a job to survive if we only brought British. Certainly would have no fuel.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Yep Rob, quite so.
I understand that costs are low in India but it seems very cheap (and therefore nasty?) at £14.50 though. What must the ex factory or FOB cost be? No more than a fiver I would think. No doubt some economy of scale is achieved as this is produced for the Indian Enfields.
I have supplied a few of the inexpensive Wassells ones (also of India origin) to section members. They have a nylon cable drive gear and the centre hole of the outer case has to be opened up a tad but they seem to be working o.k.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Don't be too hasty in condeming all Indian made products I had some of my sockets made over there, OK it looks like I found a good firm. The QD headlamp plugs are a perfect copy of the original and fit the original ones.
I too have supplied the Wassell speedo gearboxes and had no comebacks.