Rear Brake

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
39speedtwin

Re: Rear Brake

Post by 39speedtwin »

Rob, here are a couple of photos, the feed from the rear cylinder is the left hand pipe, this has a bleed nipple just above the Union, so I should be able to bleed this.
Second photo shows the rear cylinder, the top pipe going to the front is at the top below the switch.
This set up has the same problem as Neville in that the travel is too much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

That caliper on the front is the same set up as the Lexmoto which was a swine to bleed. It had too much travel even though it'd lock the brakes. The lower hose and bleed nipple operate the central piston on the front caliper when the rear lever is pushed and that's where you need to start reverse bleeding from. The supply hose is really contorted and has rise and falls in it, in an ideal world it'd be better to remove the caliper and try to raise it as high as possible but sometimes it's not practical. It really will try your patience!

I'll tell you now that set up is one of the most awkward I've ever bled. I've had BM's with the notorious rear brake and Triumphs with the useless front up and over pipe, various Honda's and Suzuki's but the Lexmoto beat them all!!
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

I will get it out in the morning and have a go at bleeding the pipe from the rear to front, will post the result, probably after riding around the front garden, as I can't be bothered to put all my kit on to go out on the road. Where i used to live 20 years ago I could ride down the road without gear on, but now live on a busy main road, even in these lockdown times.
Anyway I am intending to go for another long ride 50 miles plus on Wednesday so this should test it.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Bled both front and rear, used 100 ml fluid.
Absolutely no change, spoke to Andover, they told me to take it to supplying dealer to have the rear master cylinder changed.
I now await to see if nearest dealer to me will comply.
So this indicates there is a problem with these.
Will update when possibly solved.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

Rear master cylinder now changed, both brakes applied with minimum pressure on the pedal.
Nigel I would get yours checked as you may also have a faulty cylinder.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

39speedtwin wrote: Nigel I would get yours checked as you may also have a faulty cylinder.
Who, me..png
Do you mean me, Diddley?
Unfortunately the supplying and nearest Herald (the Mutchless) dealer is at Cambridge, 120 miles away and they've given up the agency, but I suspect many parts are common to several Chinese made bikes.
You got quick service. Did you take yours to an Ajay dealer?
Before buying I called 6 dealers within a 25 mile radius of home and not one of them would agree to servicing a Chinese bike: "no manual", "no parts", etc.
My Herald is identical to the Sinnis bikes, just a different badge and colour schemes and a Sinnis dealer has recently opened ten miles away so I'll try them. I don't hold much hope as the posh building is all new bikes and clothing...……....
On the Wheel (640x321).jpg
I went there once, just to get a spare plug before a French trip and the guy couldn't tell me what NGK or Champion plug to use. He had to phone a couple of times to the workshop and eventually came back with the answer: "You need a multigrade ten forty". :headbang:
Best regards, as always.
Neville
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

39speedtwin wrote:Rear master cylinder now changed, both brakes applied with minimum pressure on the pedal.
Nigel I would get yours checked as you may also have a faulty cylinder.
Dudley Nigel's post was last year and not a member so may not read your reply.
Roy
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

No Neville I didn't mean you, I didn't note Nigel was not a member, as pointed out by Roy.
39speedtwin

Post by 39speedtwin »

AJS have now sent out a Recall on the Tempest Scrambler, Roadster, Cadwell and Cadwell Clubmam.
So there must have been a faulty batch of rear cylinders, Mine has worked faultlessly since replacement and bleeding the system with a vacuum bleeding kit.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Thanks for rounding this off Dudley.

I'm about to do the 16k service on the Yamaha (overdue by only around 80 miles) and had thought to replace the hoses. On inspection they're really sound, no sign of degrading and previous owner used it little and was kept in the garage, dark - I do the same. It's sunlight that's the cause.

But reading all this I will probably settle for flushing the old fluid out. There are stories on the net about problems with getting the air out of these too.

Cheers

Johnny B