2006 Ajs dd125 only firing on one cylinder

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
ajs rider

2006 Ajs dd125 only firing on one cylinder

Post by ajs rider »

Hi all, I'm new to this forum so here's my problem! My bike has been in my garage for a year or so then I decide to get it out for the summer! Drained the tank, removed and cleaned the carb, (single carb model) fresh fuel, new battery, clean the plugs turn it over and away we go! But only one cylinder runs? Both plugs have a good spark! I have checked the coils by changing the wires over to see if the problem moves to the other cylinder, changed the plugs over, removed the rocker cover to ensure everything is moving as it should there is plenty of fuel getting into the non running cylinder as it can be seen dripping from the exhaust, any clues anyone! I have also replaced the carb but no joy!
Thanks in advance to any pointers.
kernow kid

Re: 2006 Ajs dd125 only firing on one cylinder

Post by kernow kid »

Hi , I'm guessing from what you've said that the problem has stayed with the same cylinder despite swopping ignition over? That at least proves your ignition is ok.
Have you checked compression on that cylinder? You might see the valve gear moving but a valve may not be seating properly. Also if the plugs have got that wet, id try a new plug and also if petrol is dripping from the exhaust, that side should be dried out.. leave the plug out for it to evaporate. Have you put new petrol in?
Regards kk
Top tip - if it needs more than 2 bolts to hold it on, its probably important...
bob0121

Re: 2006 Ajs dd125 only firing on one cylinder

Post by bob0121 »

Check compression. If you can't, check valve clearance. Does it have the removable catalysts, if so take the one off from the cylinder that's not firing and make sure it hasn't collapsed. While it's off, chuck a smudge of clean oil down the plug hole and crank it over.