old bird on a new bike

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
cb250ndriver

old bird on a new bike

Post by cb250ndriver »

Hi everyone im not exactly new to bikes having started out on a KTM 50cc moped with pedals built like a tank with great big knobbly tyres! i used to go onto the common land we lived next to great fun,used to have to pedal it to get it started, i then moved onto a Honda c70, then a Honda H100 with a great big fairing on it! then a suzuki GP125cc in blue really nice bike, then because i hadnt taken and passed my test they used to take you "off" the road for a year silly idea how can you learn when youre off a bike !! while i was like this i rode a little suzuki TS 50cc again with knobbly tyres great little bike! I then got a Jawa 350 oilmaster with 6v electrics very trouble some, attached to a bright red velorex single adult sidecar, boy did i love having a combo! so i got a newer Jawa 350 a C reg new at the time with 12 v electrics WOW! after that i got married my new hubby didnt like bikes so after passing my bike test(no cbt because i had a sidecar fitted) i got a Reliant Rialto (no jokes please they were British !) then after a gap of 20 years i bought a Honda cb250n superdream a W reg but found it far too heavy and too tall for me ,ive still got it in my shed must bring myself to sell it soon,as ive just bought an AJS Regal Raptor DDE 125cc bike, its suffering from a few probs nice riding position but it will only struggle to do 30 mph !! I dont want something too fast but 30 is a bit of a let down, i will have to fiddle with it when i have time off and weathers better! But im a bit rubbish on it feel like a learner! just lost my confidence too many years driving a car and a big van lol
iansoady

Re: old bird on a new bike

Post by iansoady »

Welcome and good luck with it!

But why the username?
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
bjork

Post by bjork »

iansoady wrote:Welcome and good luck with it!

But why the username?
Maybe she didn't want to be known as 'Old Bird'? Lol! Rofl etc. I guess the bike isn't new either? Are you revving it enough as they won't be particularly gutsy. After that start looking at stuff like blocked/dirty air or fuel filters, brakes dragging, chain imitating a bowstring? The possibilities are endless! ;)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today

Post by 1608 »

Still waiting for the Honda ad!! ;)
REW

Post by REW »

Welcome to the forum cb250ndriver, your name a reference to a rather pleasant (in my view) Honda produced in the late '70s and early '80s (Ian). They sold in their truck loads and had they been AMC we would have been delighted. I have a later derivative as an every day driver still. Your name certainly works for me - it seems you could have chosen a few others judging from your bike history.

Top speed 30 mph is not right - my brief run on a DDE125 suggests 50+ is easily achievable. The bike related things bjork suggests are well worth looking at to seek an improvement.

Tell us how you get on please!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
cb250ndriver

Post by cb250ndriver »

iansoady wrote:Welcome and good luck with it!

But why the username?
because i still have my old cb250n superdream thanks lol