Hello & question about sai

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
alxmrsh

Hello & question about sai

Post by alxmrsh »

Hello, I am new to motorbikes and new to vehicle maintenance. I seem to have picked the right bike to learn on as it is definitely wanting some maintenance. While looking for something else I have discovered three disconnected hoses. One runs from the carburettor(which appears to be leaking), one runs from the engine and I have failed to trace the third, from the diameters and locations of the pipes it looks like they might have connected to an SAI at one point but I am unable to locate one on the bike. Would anyone recommend replacing the SAI or should I just ignore this?

Thanks
dave16mct

Re: Hello & question about sai

Post by dave16mct »

Hi Alex, by SAI do you mean an air injection unit? If so I would leave it off. They make the engine run a very weak mixture. See what colour the plugs are, if a light brown its OK. The tube from the engine may be a breather and was probabely connected to the air filter. The carb tube might be a breather or an overflow. If it runs OK perhaps just point them towards the ground under the bike. You might be able to find someone who has the same model to take a look at. I think they're a copy of the old Honda CB125T twin. Have a look at Adrian's posts, maybe he can help?
Cheers Dave.
AdrianH

Re: Hello & question about sai

Post by AdrianH »

Hi Alex;

Which model and year do you have?

The Air Injection system only injects air into the exhaust, seems to rely on a partial vacuum as the air enters the exhaust leaving the head to draw fresh air past reed valves in to the exhaust system where any unburned hydrocarbons can then be burnt and thus reduce emissions.

At present emissions are not MOT tested on bikes and would not come in retrospectively! So on mine I removed the rest of the reed valves from the bike and blanked off the small pipe from the inlet manifold.

If you look at the pictures of mine in the other post you can even see the blanking plates on the side of the cylinder head. I also ground off from the chassis the bits of remaining bracket, generally tidying it up and painting the chassis where effected.

You can sometimes pick the parts up second hand for the later water cooled bike on ebay, or, if you wish, I think the AJS shop has them.

Let us know which model and year, if you get chance pick up the Haynes book Chinese 125cc Motorcycles, assuming it is a 125 and not the bigger 250 or 350 cc.

Adrian