Old'ish git on modern bike DD125E

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
robcurrie

Re: Old'ish git on modern bike DD125E

Post by robcurrie »

SPRIDDLER wrote: Can't think why Clive, but I read that Janet suggested you learn how to do joined up wiring. :rofl: Oh, how I laughed. :beer:
I find the problem with joined up wiring is you get more short circuits than if you leave them loose, and it gets worse when you connect a battery or generator :?

Rob C
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

robcurrie wrote:
SPRIDDLER wrote: Can't think why Clive, but I read that Janet suggested you learn how to do joined up wiring. :rofl: Oh, how I laughed. :beer:
I find the problem with joined up wiring is you get more short circuits than if you leave them loose, and it gets worse when you connect a battery or generator :?

Rob C
Use longer wires Rob...... that gets rid of the "short" circuits :rofl:
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The North West section had a camping trip to Scotland last month and on one of the runs we stopped at the cafe at St Mary's Loch. A young lad who works there had one of these bikes exactly the same. He is very happy with it and has had very few problems. He was also very interested in our AMC bikes!
You would be very welcome at our section meetings and runs.
Cheers Dave.
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

I find that most encouraging Dave, thank you. Could be a while before I turn out on the 125 still finding faults and purchasing parts. Could always turn up in the kit car!

Bought two spark plugs the other day and I am such a tidy freak, NOT! That today I can not find them to fit them. The carb inlet rubber had perished so I have another on order, the carb was blasted with cleaner today although not that bad in side. Thinking I might get the bike off idle with-out dying, it would not. Now in my book this is a sign of being very week mix so out with the main needle and up one notch and back in, better, will see what it is like with the new rubber before I go further with that.

Replaced the chain, the old one had a twisted link, so in the bin, not even for emergency use.

The front brake does not work, I am sourcing a replacement reservoir assembly , I could have gone for a seal set if it was not for the fact the window plastic is broken.

Getting there slowly.

Adrian
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Small update, new brake cylinder fitted, bled, and front brake working, carb to filter rubber fitted, what a job that was, but done. Clutch cable next, needs oiling first, do not think it is a lined cable.

I think the last part I need is a swing-arm chain guide, then fix a wiring fault and could be close to having a naughty ride up and down the street, just to check out things.

Adrian
clive

Post by clive »

AdrianH wrote:Bought two spark plugs the other day and I am such a tidy freak, NOT! That today I can not find them to fit them. Adrian
Nothing to do with your tidiness Adrian its the gremlins, caught one at it in my garage the other day, green about 18inches high. He was replacing the rubber carb seal I had spent an hour looking for slap bang in the middle of the garage floor. But then again perhaps I ought to be cutting down on the wine and beer :mrgreen:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

This is like a never ending story! No different then an old bike then I guess? :headbang:

Few more bits from the AJS shop arrived today, forget the web shop, one has to phone them, but so far 90+% of things I want, they have.

My list of bits from AJS to date has been:
OIl seal 35 x 52 x 7 L/H crank
OIl seal 2231x5
Gasket side spacer
Gasket Left Crankcase cover
Clutch cable 45"
Air hose airbox to single carb
Rubber mountings (Tank)
Chain Protect pad Mk1
Battery Rubber strap
DD125E Owners Manual (what a lark!)
3 lots of P&P
inc all the VAT £89.59

From another shop (ebay)
Complete front brake master res/cylinder/handle/brake-switch
all in at £35.25. Beginning to wonder if it would have been cheaper at above?

Two spark plugs £5.40

Local Motorcycle shop for chain, two sprockets and wheel bearing £38.48

So for parts up to now
£133.47

Now I do not think that is bad.

Back to the work on the bike, fitted the battery rubber, remounted the handlebars. Story behind this. The bars were skew slightly, so took off the bars and took out the risers. Put them in the lathe and checked how straight they were. peeled all the chrome off the m12 bolt part to get them to run OK, then used a lathe tool to edge the base of the risers flat. They now sit better on the top yoke and are not out by much at all, the handle bar looks a lot more in line :)

Had issues with the neutral light not working and an intermittent headlight, found broken cables around the headstock where all the flexing of the wires happens. Just seems to be the black cables that carry switched 12 Volts, the other coloured cables seem to be fine. trim solder and wrap with self amalgamating tape, then wrap the lot from the end of the tank to the headlight. Now this might be a bad idea as the cables now flex in a different place, will have to wait and see.

Over the weekend the rear swing arm will have to be removed for a clean, sand, paint and fit the chain pad.

This will be a tricky job as the bike has no main stand, so have to think of a way to get the back of the bike in the air whilst wheel and arm removed, without the bike falling over.

Adrian
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

AdrianH wrote: This will be a tricky job as the bike has no main stand, so have to think of a way to get the back of the bike in the air whilst wheel and arm removed, without the bike falling over.

Adrian
Sky hooks :D Hang it from a pair of sky hooks! :rofl:

On a more serious note, have you got wooden rafters in your garage that are of reasonable size? If so get a couple if the screw in eye bolts, screw them into the rafter at least twice the width of the bike apart then you can hang the back of the bike from these while removing the rear wheel and swinging arm.
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Umm. Cant use the garage idea because too much gear in there, (car on trailer, and crap underneath it). But! You have just got me thinking of a reduced height system, using wheely bins and some 3x2 and the back sissy bar on the bike, a few ratchet straps and I think it might work!

Home made sky hooks, good one Colin.

Adrian
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Just a post to end this thread.

The bike has an MOT, picked up from garage today, had to get a few minor jobs done I am embarrassed to say, headlight alignment, new tyre valves stems and a sticking rear brake.

I could not detect the last one but suspect it was adjustment to tight and the shoes rubbed, but it was found on the rolling road, So be it! All done and a ticket given.

Had to take it down on trailer and bring it back on same as bike is on SORN and insurance starts on the 1st and road tax will be sought on the 1st also.

L plates fitted and hope it will be better to practice on then my twist and go?

Adrian