Old'ish git on modern bike DD125E

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
AdrianH

Old'ish git on modern bike DD125E

Post by AdrianH »

Hello to anyone that reads this.

Name is Adrian, and having my 3rd or 4th childhood. Never did pass the motorcycle test when young so starting again, done CBT and when time and monies allow, will have a go with more training courses and take a test. But up to that point decided to pick up a 125 to stick on the L plates and become more used to riding in traffic, feeling vulnerable again, gaining more slow speed control etc.

I do have a twist and go scooter, that I repaired, and is now on the road, a kit car that took a couple of years to build, and a reasonable workshop with a lathe, Milling machines and Mig welders, so the idea of getting hands dirty and fixing things is not a problem providing I can source parts.

Anyway reason for the post, picked up a Regal Raptor 125 06 reg tonight for a pricey sum of £200, it is a non runner, main issue is a major oil leak from the left hand engine casing, suspecting this is from the clutch area, could even be split or holed casting? Saturday will hopefully give time to strip it down and have a look.

I could do with at least getting hold of a copy of the users manual/guide for types of oil, general specifications etc. so if anyone has a scanned copy I would be grateful. I will search out a Haynes manual for these Chinese made bikes when I can but I am very surprised there is no service manual online from the manufacturer.
Does anyone know who actually makes these, Jinlun, Sym or similar?

Let the tinkering start.

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Old'ish git on modern bike DD125E

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Adrian welcome, the engine I am led to belive is based on the old 125 Honda twin used in the CB 125 and the Rebel.
As far as I know there is not really a proper workshop manual although some info is to be found on the web.
There are a couple of club members who run these and are slowly gathering knowledge about them.
You sound like you are fairly handy on't tools and I would suggest for any striping and repair to make notes , photos and drawings. We will do our best to help, although the majority of us have old thumpers!! However the principals are the same!

Any thing you do could be added to the knowledge base in the club and help other users of modern AJS's

Good luck with CBT and test etc, keep us posted.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

OK a bit of an update, the left hand side of the engine is the alternator side and electric start, not clutch as I thought. I have managed to get a little way before hitting a brick wall with lack of a particular tool!.

Side covers are off the engine case the coils removed and the starter gear and chain, all safely in a box with a foot peg and gear change linkage. I now need to get a particular tool to pull the magnetic hub off the crank so then I will be able to remove the side plate and see where the oil was leaking from.

If it was not for the fact it looked black I would have said the someone had poured oil in the wrong hole. Also found that the side stand switch has no wires left on it, so need to get that sorted before it will ever fire.

I managed to get one of the Haynes manuals that covers a range of AJS and other bikes. The engine is a 244FMI type based on as mentioned the Honda CB 125T engine. The air filter looks to have had little use, so I can only guess, it has had some servicing in it's life. Use of an old toothed cam-belt, ratchet grips and an air impact driver allowed me to remove the hub nut, but that is as far as it goes, I need to get a 16mm 1.5mm pitch threaded puller.

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Often on Jap bikes, the front or rear axle could be used as a makeshift magneto rotor "impact puller".

Rob C
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Thanks that is worth remembering if I get desperate, I will be pulling the rear wheel off to change the sprocket.

Adrian
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Got further!

The rear axle was too small to fit, but was able to pick up a correct tool, even on a Sunday. Also got replacement sprockets and chain, and a rear wheel bearing on the cush drive part as the original was lumpy.

Had to soak the threads of the magneto bell with cellulose thinners to soften up the thread lock that was in there, but with use of the extractor and a plastic mallet it was possible to remove the bell.

Studying the side of the engine and the starter gear and bell, there are two seals, one on the crank that seals against the starter gear and another one inside the starter gear that seals on the crank.

The pictures below may give a better idea of what I am on about. I get the feeling that the bike has been on it's side for some time in storage and the oil has slowly dripped through the seals as there is not much else it can be for oil to be coming out of that side caseing. So will order two seals and two gaskets and start a re-assembly.

ImageImage

Adrian
Last edited by AdrianH on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

all good educational stuff , keep it up Keith
Malleon

Post by Malleon »

Are you thinking of buying one, Keith ???
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

not in the near future mal , still messing with the money pit that some people call a C15. Keith
AdrianH

Post by AdrianH »

Only thing done to day was order the two seals and two gaskets from AJS, spoke to a Phil ( I think) seemed to know what I was asking for and even suggested I get an O ring for the neutral switch, but suggested I get that locally as there are two sizes for available for that, and as I have a collection of them somewhere in the garage then not a problem. Hope they will arrive tomorrow, but down to Royal Mail.

Adrian