Hi from a newbie

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Hi from a newbie

Post by saltbox alf »

good point Janet, I was wondering where the thread was going, although it's a good question if a club member is thinking of a light weight outfit.

I would be interested in what Dano is going to do with his bike.
I hope he has lot's of fun miles now the weather is a bit better.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Dano888

Post by Dano888 »

Thanks guys for all the warm welcomes,

despite being a 125cc and a new bike i am nether a newbie biker (full licence) nor what you would call a young whipper snapper, i have ridden/owned many big bikes but i love the laid back cruiser/bagger style bike and the easy nature of riding them. So full licence and a 125 why i hear some say, well i have had a virago, vn 800 cruisers in the past both great bikes and both were very rarely taken over 70 as riding cruiser style bikes at 80-90 plus miles an hour is just not that enjoyable on anything but dead straight roads and apart from motorways there are not many dead straight long roads in the uk, my little AJS does 70 miles an hour and sits at 65 easy, more then enough for me and the type of riding i am after, secondly price/running cost the AJS cruisers and customs are in my opinion some of the best looking cruisers you can buy, add in £17 a year tax £86 a year insurance and around 80 mpg out of a £15 fill up i get all the biking thrills with small cost, the bike looks, sounds and rides like a much bigger cc bike so personally its win win for me. As for changes well i like to keep thing original so will only make minor changes to make it a bit more personal.

I would not say that i have extensive knowledge of old AJS bike but having ridden for the best part of 12 years and raced longer (20 years) and a father who has ridden/raced since a boy i could not call myself a biker without knowing about AJS. I am a massive fan of old AJS bikes and with a back ground in motocross a massive love for the stormer, i was lucky enough to ride one in an historic race some 10 years ago now which remains a highlight of my biking life.
Dano888

Post by Dano888 »

also took those saddle bags off, i brought cheap ones to see if i like them and they fell apart after a few weeks, i brought them off ebay as a test to see, i liked them so will get some more, better quality ones, here is what the bike looks like now,

Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

Smart bike.

I hope you get loads of fun out of it.

My first bike was a 125 and I went all over on it.

Ride safe.

Regards
John
DM2

Post by DM2 »

Rob Harknett wrote:
Note the colour photo bike has a cycle motor fitted behind the saddle. It appears to be a Trojan mini motor, which were about 25c.c.
It's actually a 49cc Power Pak engine made in the 50's by Sinclair Goddard Ltd in London.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Have you taken it out 2 up? If you're not planning to perhaps an individual approach would be to fit a saddle rather than the seat?

I've never ridden a machine set up like this and know nothing about them as I've always had standard road machines except for the Triumph TR6P.

Yours almost looks like a side valve or is it my eyes?

Johnny B