Engine Tuning

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Peck88

Engine Tuning

Post by Peck88 »

Hello I have a AJS Daytona Regal Raptor 125 and am looking at ways to make my bike run smother and bit faster any ideas ??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
SPRIDDLER

Re: Engine Tuning

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Scott.
All modern 125's these days are restricted by having to meet emission regulations. (Which is not the same thing as the removable 'restrictors' which are fitted in the inlet tract on some bikes to make them learner legal).
Don't take this the wrong way but since you don't know how to tune it mechanically (increasing compression, bigger carb, bigger valves, flowed ports, change cams/timing etc) you are probably asking about bolt-on go faster goodies, e.g. silencer/can or different carburettor. I don't think these mods are available specifically for the Raptor so you'd have to (spend a fortune and) try different ones until you find improvement (or not). In any case, even basic bolt-on tuning parts may lead to reduced reliability, poorer mpg, narrower power band and premature wear, which if you're not familiar with engineering will be a problem.
There are several 125 Owners websites (e.g. Honda CBF125 and Yamaha YBR125. The Raptor 125 engine is reputed to be a copy of these) where you are more likely to get generic suggestions for tuning the bike.
The most logical way to get more power is to get a larger capacity bike.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would advise, just use the bike as it is. Be proud of it, enjoy riding the bike and learning along the way. You will still be riding it when the flash Harry's as they used to be called, have broken or crashed bikes. In the end you will be a safe motorcyclists and progress to owning a faster bike, long before the others.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Totally agree with previous posts, but I note you say smoother, which implies a that you have some issue with the bike. As far as is possible (depending on your skills) it 's good practice to make sure that all clearances are per book, the chain is adjusted correctly, the spark plug is new, tyre's inflated to correct pressure all the things that if you have a handbook should be listed under general maintenance, ( if you have a book) these things correctly done will add miles to a bikes life and make it go better.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
peck1988

Post by peck1988 »

Thank you for all your inputs, I never take anything to heart am open to any advice given, I am very proud owner I just wanted to see if there where little tweeks to make the engine run little smother am a big boy and in the lower gears sounds like the bike works little bit harder (I know the answer is lose weight lol or bigger bike) at this point in time the bigger bike is not an option at the minute (cash) and working on the weight :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

As it happens I found the following while looking for something else on a bike review website (getting larger capacity bike or tuning my Honda CBF 125 :o ). It may give you some clues
It may be just BS and I don't suggest that you do any of it but it's an example of what can be found, even accidentally on the web.
Of course you'll notify your insurance company of any mods, won't you?
From BIKEREVIEW website:

“AJS 125DD REGAL RAPTOR TUNE UP !!! 75MPH+”
Written on: 03/03/2014
Bought this bike and it was slow as hell!! only 60mph flat out screaming, 65 downhill with the wind behind me if lucky. So i put a pitbike 140 mikuni carb on it, a cone air filter , set the needle in the carb to the highest position. turned the air mixture screw all the way in and the back out 1 and a half turns. then i put a 15 tooth front sprocket on and a 41 tooth rear. (standard is 14/44). it absolutley flies now and does 75 with ease and thats with a 16 stone bloke on. Next i,m gonna fabricate some slash cut exhausts to fit. This now mearly ticks over at 55mph and throttle response has doubled.Its also a lot smoother now and all the horrible engine vibrations have gone cause you don't need to thrash the cans off it. The carb was brand new and only cost 24 quid from ebay off fiddyparts inc delivery. air filter was 16quid and sprocket and chain was 50 quid. Definatly money wel spent.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
peck1988

Post by peck1988 »

Thank you I'll have a look around tonight in work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk