Bobber problems

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
am1o1ss

Bobber problems

Post by am1o1ss »

So I got an AJS Bobber a week ago and I've been having some issues. Firstly there is a very noticable drop in power in third gear. I could be at full throttle in 2nd to the point where I'm not accelerating anymore, kick into third and I almost start slowing down. The other issue is it appears to be leaking green fluid from under the seat somewhere (looks like the air filter?), quite a lot of it actually. I have no idea what it is or how to fix it.

Thanks for the help
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Bobber problems

Post by saltbox alf »

Green liquid, that could be water/anti freeze mix as I belive these bikes are liquid cooled, combined with lack of power could be a head gasket problem pressurising the coolant system.
What is the bike model?
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
am1o1ss

Post by am1o1ss »

They are liquid cooled. I don't think it's a head gasket problem, mainly because it only happens in 3rd gear, it is probably just because I live in quite a hilly area and a 125 simply doesn't have the power to go up the hills in third. When you say model, what do you mean? It's an AJS Bobber 125 2013
Janet

Post by Janet »

If you're on the flat and change up from 2nd to third it should still pull away as long as you don't let the revs drop too much but if you're going uphill, with a small engine it is possible that 3rd gear can be too high for what you need but 2nd feels too low. I have a bike like this, much older and lower powered than yours, but either I have to keep playing the gearbox or accept a slightly slower pace and go up in 2nd ( or 1st, if it is a long, steep hill. Generally, I stay in the lower gear and back of the revs a bit as this puts less pressure on the engine. Labouring in too high a gear is not good for it.
Regarding the green liquid, I agree with Alf that it is likely to be the coolant from your radiator. It could be a head gasket leak forcing the water out but that would happen in all gears when you put it under load. As I'm sure you know, when water gets hot it expands and will pass through the overflow pipe. When it gets extra hot, bearing in mind the recent weather could have an impact too, it can boil over. I'd check the radiator to see if the level has gone down. My aforementioned bike is water cooled and it has these characteristics. To avoid loosing the antifreeze all over the road I tied on a bottle and putt the expansion pipe right down into it. This catches the coolant as it expands but sucks it back as it contracts. Some bikes already have these but I don't know if your has.

I think you are going to need to spend some time getting to know your bike and having a good look at it to find out what is where. It would be a pity for something to go wrong because you have the will but lack the knowledge to fix it.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Oh I see, a 'Bobber' first one I have heard of. I think you might have answered your own question :idea: Add factors ,hill, heat and water expansion= overflow from coolant resivoir. Our singles get a bit hot up hill, we just drop a gear and take it easy. Check your coolant level when cold, it might have been a bit over filled.
And all that Janet has said, good advice
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
bob

Post by bob »

If its a 2013 as you mention , then its still under manufacturers warranty , so get it back to the dealer .
am1o1ss

Post by am1o1ss »

It's not from the radiator. My coolant is blue, I just checked and it's pretty full
Janet

Post by Janet »

Some engine oil is green when it's new but it rapidly changes to black once it's been round an engine a few times so I don't think it will be that. If it is, you'll soon know when the engine seizes up.

As Bob said, I think it's time to go back to the dealer.
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Surely it is easy to tell the difference between oil and water????
Chemists do it with test tubes
Janet

Post by Janet »

Merlin wrote:Surely it is easy to tell the difference between oil and water????
Not from here it isn't.