Servicing Costs

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Have I lost the nac

Servicing Costs

Post by Have I lost the nac »

Can anyone humour me on the typical cost for a 2500 mile service on a 12 month old 125cc Bike? That's oil, coolant, 2plugs and apparently 1.5 hrs labour. Total bill came to £103.44. I told them my bike kept cutting out but that I hadn't ridden it for over 6 months. The AA mechanic had checked everything, cleaned a flooded sparkplug, adjusted the idle and checked the injectors (which were ok), test rode it and said all was ok. I think I have been taken advantage of here. It's £72 for 1.5 hrs labour. How can it take 1.5 hrs for that work?
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Servicing Costs

Post by saltbox alf »

welcome to rip of britain!
thats the beauty of our old bus'es, not too much to go wrong and easy maitenance.
really though it seems a bit much for what they did,especially if the bike was running ok after the AA chap.
It's a long process learning ,but doing it yourself will eventually save some cash and give you pride in your self.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Servicing costs are usually predetermined by the manufacturer, same with the time allowed for labour. Usually a good idea to ask for the price of a service before letting someone with an oily rag and a can of wd40 loose on it.
It does sometimes work the other way, with a service "booked" at 2 or 3 hours but taking much longer.
Back when Adam was nibbling Eve's apple and I was a car mechanic - in those days we were neither "technicians" or "fitters" - I could do a clutch with a book price of 2 & 1/2 hrs in 20 minutes and earn bonus then lose it all on say a hydraulic tappet replacement which took 4 hrs but was only booked at 2.
I'd have thought there would have been incidentals on your 2500 mile service anyway such as chain lube and adjust, check brakes and tyres, tyre pressures, clutch adjustment, suspension check etc etc etc. See how it adds up?
get a manual, buy a few tools and try yourself. (Unless its under warranty). You will learn a lot about your pride and joy by fettling with it!
It's all just riding motorbikes
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

succinqly put Dave, now't like do it yerself, I hate it when someone get ripped off.
Wish I could spell big words :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Have I lost the nac

Post by Have I lost the nac »

I really did want that service stamp for the next owner as it is a learner legal bike and should be long gone by the time of its next service. That's if I my health continues to improve. I had to cancel my level 1 last year due to illness.
I shall indeed service my next bike myself. I have the tools and work in the motor trade.

Those workshop manuals are great. Always had one for my cars when available. Wish I could get one for my Mazda RX8 but that is where joining a club and reading forums pays off.

Thanks for your comments guys :)
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Have I lost the nac wrote:I really did want that service stamp for the next owner as it is a learner legal bike and should be long gone by the time of its next service. That's if I my health continues to improve. I had to cancel my level 1 last year due to illness.
I shall indeed service my next bike myself. I have the tools and work in the motor trade.

Those workshop manuals are great. Always had one for my cars when available. Wish I could get one for my Mazda RX8 but that is where joining a club and reading forums pays off.

Thanks for your comments guys :)
If you want dealer stamps in the book you don't have much choice. Don't get me started on what my Ducati costs to have serviced despite hardly doing any miles each year! :headbang:
It's all just riding motorbikes