New ajs raptor everything wrong

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
Dhayes

New ajs raptor everything wrong

Post by Dhayes »

Hey just wondering if anyone can help????
i bought a new regal raptor in november 2012 from a dealer who sold it as been a good first timer bike, but since then its been back to dealer for repairs from the gearbox failing to the speedometer cable falling off, even handle bars been loose. After a few months there was major oil leaks from underneath the gaskets had blown and oil was leaking badly, spoke to the dealer and they said there was a known problem and they were going to order them but 5weeks later still nothing. and most recent the 3rd gear bearings had shattered and again got told it was a known problem. Also the clutch sticks and would cut out the engine after say 3-4miles and again the dealer said that AJS had known about this problem??????

My main worry is that i still have 6months on warranty but am dreading thinking about how much its going to cost me to keep it going after the warranty runs out. So can anyone advise on what i should do keep or bin for a more reliable brand?? or any other hints tips would be grateful
Rob Harknett

Re: New ajs raptor everything wrong

Post by Rob Harknett »

A friend of mine was working in China for a few years and brought a simular machine. Brand new, but it broke down on the way home from the shop. His job was designing and building engines. He totaly dismantled the machine and rebuilt it. From then on he had no problems. You should bear in mind he knew how to look after a bike. So quite a few of your problems may had been due to lack of knowledge, we have all been there with our first bikes, so don't take that comment too hard. So, once you get the bike sorted out & learnt a bit more about what to look for to discover faults before they happen, the learning period is going to be costly what ever you may buy. Hope you get all the faults sorted. You have now learnt of certain parts that need regular checks, so things don't come loose and fall off. Perhaps even some of those oil leaks due to fittings working loose. So thats the small problems dealt with. Sticking clutches can be dealt with. Perhaps even the bearing failure may had been due to lack of or incorrect lubrication. So buying a cheap little bike could well pass as a good first timer, to learn how to ride and care for a bike. Most of us old'us learnt on a cheap old banger, which was considered a good first timer, to at least fall off a few times and damage, before you brought something better. An old boy across the road when I was in my teens had a bike, he would often call me over and say, lets have a look at that bike of yours. He would then go over it showing me all the things I should look out for, spot something wrong and show me how to fix it.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

OR if you want a modern bike buy a Honda!!! usually bullet proof especially for a first bike for a "green" rider. There are stacks of used modern AJS's on ebay may be good to ask why??

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

But don't ride it on a farmers land, years ago an Essex farmer shoot a mates bike, which did not prove to be 12 bore shotgun proof.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:But don't ride it on a farmers land, years ago an Essex farmer shoot a mates bike, which did not prove to be 12 bore shotgun proof.
Ha Ha !!!metaphorically speaking of course..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
gotoole

Post by gotoole »

it looks very much like this motorcycle is "not fit for use" or not of merchantable quality". i.e. it should not have been sold.
I am assuming you are in UK or somewhere else in EU where your rights as a consumer are protected by legislation. This is separate to any manufacturers warranty and will extend beyond that.
I would write to the retailer, informing him that you believe that the motorcycle is substandard and you are invoking your rights under consumer law and are asking for a full refund.
Citizens information office or similar should be able to give you information on consumer legislation

you might download this for information http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/ ... _final.pdf

regards
gerard
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

gotoole wrote:it looks very much like this motorcycle is "not fit for use" or not of merchantable quality". i.e. it should not have been sold.
I would write to the retailer, informing him that you believe that the motorcycle is substandard and you are invoking your rights under consumer law and are asking for a full refund.
Unfortunately these bikes (c£1900 when new) depreciate quickly. There are several examples on ebay with starting prices at £1200 (Buy it Now), £900, and £250 all with very little mileage; 870, 186 and 143 respectively. None has a bid yet. The trade-in value will also be low.
I'd be inclined to detail the problems; faults, dates, action taken/not taken by the dealer and write to the importers (copy to the dealer) advising them that you consider the machine as not fit for purpose and will be seeking advice from your local Trading Standards Office if the machine is not sorted/replaced/cost refunded:
AJS Motorcycles Ltd.
Goodworth Clatford,
Andover,
Hants,
SP11 7RP
United Kingdom.

T1: +44 (0) 1264 710 074
T2: +44 (0) 1264 711 160

No email address given

And as already said, a Jap brand (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha) would be a better bet, if only for the reason that you would probably have the service of a fairly local professional dealer who could afford to employ experienced mechanics. It's little surprise that a new Honda 125 is roughly a grand more than the Ajay. However, a couple of members on this Forum have Chinese Ajays in addition to their old British made classic machines and are quite happy with them. They can though, diagnose faults and repair and service their own machines.
A user of Chinese Ajays near to me used 7 of the AJS Eco 125's for their CBT Rider Training courses and found them satisfactory. Apparently it was the dreadful weather of the past 7 months which forced them to close after 2 years' trading.
Although they were listed as a 'dealer', all they did was receive the unassembled machines in crates and assemble them. I visited them occasionally and it was obvious that they were not mechanically savvy, didn't have a dedicated workshop, just a showroom, nor did they hold any spares. At the low margins on a cheap machine they had little incentive to spend time sorting problems.
Your first port of call to get the bike sorted is your supplier. You need to avoid losing his 'goodwill' as you may not have another very near. There are only a few Chinese AJS dealers which means that some owners have to travel a long way to a dealer. One poster on here who is in Scotland has, (if I remember correctly) about a 150 mile ride to get to his supplier. (Your Profile doesn't indicate where you are located).
Whether you stick with your machine or not will depend upon the outcome of your approach to AJS themselves and the dealer, but your confidence in its future reliability is evidently an issue that will remain with you.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Getting a refund may not amount to much if the machine is on HP. Our friend may not be able to afford a bike costing £1,000 more than the AJS. Even so, by the time the bike is paid for and maybe passed various test's he may be looking for something bigger and better.
He may also be a little better off having had a birthday raise or two. If he can overcome the present difficulties, use the bike as a learner, get it paid for. He will then find himself with enough cash in the AJS for a deposit on his next machine. I can recall my teens, I wanted a bike and I still wanted a bit of money to go out with my mates. I soon passed my test, but it took a couple of years before I could offord a decent bike. Buy then I had learned a thing or two. He brought a new bike, had he brought what may be consdered a better S/H older bike, what some one elsed has learned on, and not kept maintained, he would have that and all repairs to pay for.
He needs to get this bike sorted before the gaurantee is up, not go back to the start and get deeper in debt.
Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

Yeah thank you all for your comments yes i am in the uk (westyorkshire) some of the faults i did my self but the clitch cutting out after it been stripped and then smothered in new grease, then to be told ajs knew about the fault is worrying, and its now been in 4weeks to gt fixed first was handles bar mounts then major oil leak which they said i can still ride as they are awaiting new seals etc.etc. but its taken them 2weeks to just fit the new bearings for the 3rd gear. I use the bike for work and yeah i know how to look after them I.E basic maintenence but mechanically no and the electric sides no i have no idea about the ignition chamber that was another fault as while riding go over bump the power would cut out as faulty connection somwere. Anyway i can go on and on as am not happy but i will wait and see what happens when i collect it from the shop and i will inform you all as what they said. And again thank you all so much i will seek further advice
Dhayes

Post by Dhayes »

I and the bike is fully paid off as i bought 2bikes from dealer one for me and other for my partner heres is a generic worx and has had no faults with it so far