Ajs Regal Raptor

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
markm

Ajs Regal Raptor

Post by markm »

Hi all is just a stupid question, was out driving today was ok in morning parked up for the day then went to come home got a bout 5 miles down the road and the fuel tap had come lose so fuel comeing out tightened it up and since then i have no speedo and no rear brake light, no idea what it could be i looked at the fues that seems like it could be the problum but it is working as it should for the rest of the bike.
the other thing is the indicators dont flash as they should and dimm the head light when the engine is running but is fine when engine is off
this was since the charging problum but has nothing to do with todays accident

thanks mark
AJS Regal Raptor 125 DD E 2006
SPRIDDLER

Re: Ajs Regal Raptor

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know nothing of the Raptor but....
Has the leaking petrol found its way into and affected the electrics? Petrol, esp with the current ethanol additive can soften/dissolve rubber and some plastics.
Fuse box, alternator, connectors, switch........?
Battery needs charging or dying/dead?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
markm

Post by markm »

sorry was just the front brake that doesnt work the light also with the spedo it is the speed you are doing thats not working think the miles is dont know if the back light is working as it hasnt worked for ages
markm

Post by markm »

spoke to ajs today and they told me to check the brake by touching the brake switch cabels together nothing, and the speod is to check the spedo cabel isnt broken or that the gears are working which i will check tonight
what would you suggest is the next thing i should ceck on the brake
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Brake -
I believe that brake light works when using the footbrake but if I've got that wrong check that the stop light bulb is o.k Remove it to check and whilst it's out check for corrosion of its holder.
If the bulb's o.k. you need to follow the wires from the brake lever switch back to where they begin (the colour of the wires should help with this) and check for continuity, i.e. that there is no break in them nor a disconnected/corroded connector. Preferably by using a meter or a test lead made from a bulb connected to a battery.
Then check that there's voltage at the point where the wires begin.
I've heard that many of these Chinese bikes suffer from corroded connectors.

Speedo
If as you say, the miles are recording it's unlikely that the drive cable is broken.
markm

Post by markm »

think the spedo cabel is snapped it is not working the miles i thought it was but after trying to sort it out to day found out it is not
also the brake has no power going through to the switch and the wires just vanish
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Can't see the wires from here either!
Every wire has two ends, Mark, and there's no option but to find the ends and check the wires and connectors for continuity.
A wiring diagram would help a lot.
Sorry, but I'm peeing in the wind here and can only generalise as I've no direct knowledge of your bike.
markm

Post by markm »

Sorted the brake light now just if any one has the same problum the switch goes through the headlight were the connector had come off
ordered new speedo cabel so hope that will have fixed that
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Excellent!
Thanks for the info.