Ajs Reagal Raptor Charging Problum

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
markm

Ajs Reagal Raptor Charging Problum

Post by markm »

Hi all,
Just replaced the ignition switch and the battery is not charging now, put the old one back on and still same problum any questions to what it could be or is it just that the alternator has gone at the same time
AJS Regal Raptor 125 DD E 2006
markm

Re: Ajs Reagal Raptor Charging Problum

Post by markm »

Bike is an ajs regal raptor dd125e 2006 model
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Was it charging before you replaced the switch?
markm

Post by markm »

yes i think so
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Firstly you need to get yourself a test meter, you can pick a basic one up for about £10.

A wiring diagram for your bike would be useful so you can see which colour wires are meant to go where.

You need to identify the wires coming from your alternator, where your rectifier/ regulator is.

First test the output from your alternator, set the tester to Volts AC and put the probes onto the wires (hopefully there are only 2 coming out, otherwise it gets more complicated!) you should have a reading in excess of 12 volts, If you have the chances are your alternator is OK.

Now identify the live feed coming out of the rectifier/regulator set the tester to Volts DC and test between this and earth (if the meter tries to go the wrong way, swap the test leads around) this should read 12-14 volts,

Now disconnect a connector in the live feed above set the tester to Amps DC, connect the tester inline and note the reading, switch the lights on and this reading should increase.

If all these tests are OK it probably means you have disturbed a connection when changing your switch and you will need to work through the loom to identify where.

If the test are not OK come back with your test results and we will see what to suggest.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

If it was charging before you changed the switch, surely the new switch, then the old were both wrongly wired back in.
Often when looking at a wring diagram for a switch, it is quite easy to wire it up in reverse. You may have wires touching.
Why did you decide to change the switch, was there a fault which was thought to be the switch. But it seems if there was a fault it was not the switch. So what if anything was the problem which gave you reason to fit a new switch.
rex.webb

Post by rex.webb »

No its not me ??
Its my Twin Micky mouse ??
r w webb
markm

Post by markm »

You cant wire the switch backwards it is just a push in and i change the ignition as i had a problum with the filler cap and had to replace that so got a new set as you cant get the key out the old filler cap
bigwol

Post by bigwol »

Did you disconnect the battery when you changed the switch? If not you may have inadvertently damaged either the rectifier/regulator or alternator. The checks Colin advises will tell you if that's the case.
It's all just riding motorbikes
markm

Post by markm »

i spoke to ajs and they said to check the voltage of the 2 yellow wires coming from the regulator and it should be 40 + DC which i have got so does anyone have any other ideas thanks