Losing Power

This area is for discussion/information on the "modern" AJS motorcycles manufactured in China from 2006 onwards.
joker7

Losing Power

Post by joker7 »

Question: As some of you know I have a 125 Eos. Well I keep lossing power when it's wet to the point it's getting unusable.Today I had to abandon my ride to work and push the thing for about a mile.

So my question is has anyone had the same problem and how did you over come it or have any suggestion.

Chris
paul knapp

Losing Power

Post by paul knapp »

If this power loss only happens when it's either raining or the roads are wet, it sounds like the ignition system is shorting out from getting wet.
Give the ignition system wires (and spark plug) a spray of a water repellent, like WD40, or similar to see if it fixes the problem.
___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

dave16mct

Losing Power

Post by dave16mct »

If the plug caps are metal, change them for rubber ones. Also check if water is getting into the air filter.
NoodleHead

Losing Power

Post by NoodleHead »

Hi joker7. Try replacing spark plug caps with NGK VD05F.

AJS Regal Raptor DD125E-5 Eos
alternativecruisers.com
markm

Re: Losing Power

Post by markm »

i always have the same problum when i have just washed to bike i have to change the spark plugs some times just take them out and put them back in again makes all the diffrences
AJS Regal Raptor 125 DD E 2006
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you replaced the metal plug caps as Dave suggested? They're cheap as chips. Bear in mind that you probably have coil ignition caps with built-in resistors, unlike the resistorless ones recommended for 'our' magneto fired sparkling plugs.
I've heard of several problems resulting from metal type caps on different makes of coil ignition bikes.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
90days

Post by 90days »

Know this is a old post, but this may help others.

Had the same problem after a lot of hair pulling and swapping of parts it came down to the regulator was on the way out.

The electrice are very old skol on this model so a lot of weatherproofing is needed but once sorted will give years of fun.
BrokenSpoke

Post by BrokenSpoke »

I had this problem. There turned out to be 2 problems giving similar symptoms. This resulted in a great deal of head scratching!

The first problem was air being sucked in through the joints either side of the carburettor manifold where the o rings had failed. A simple diagnosis for this is spraying WD40 or similar around the joints with the engine running when the problem is evident.

The second problem turned out to be the secondary windings in the coil breaking down when the engine became hot! This took a little longer to work out. I have only come across this happening once before on an old Morris Minor I had years ago!

Once changed the 125 is back in regular daily use even through the torrential rain we have had recently.