12 volt conversion

This area contains links to posts within the forum area on various topics. It's designed to help you find the answers to the most common questions about AJS and Matchless machines.
Only club members can create entries witin this area.
Rob Harknett

Re: 12 volt conversion

Post by Rob Harknett »

Horn buttons can jam and wires work loose, we do get that happen quiet more than we do winning the lottery.
Julian must be one of the lucky guys that has won the euro millions lottery a few times and all I get is electrical problems :headbang:
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Rob Harknett wrote:Horn buttons can jam and wires work loose, we do get that happen quiet more than we do winning the lottery.
Julian must be one of the lucky guys that has won the euro millions lottery a few times and all I get is electrical problems :headbang:
Yes, but as previously suggested, the whole lot was going to catch fire, and some eagle eyed assessor would appear and refuse the claim.

My point being that the chain of events previously described was a wild theory bordering upon exaggerated claptrap, and it would appear nobody has suffered spontaneous combustion in their horns as a result of a few extra volts!

So I'm still confident my numbers will come up first!

Julian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

:roll: a (70mm dia.) 12v horn's less than a tenner complete with bracket. If you're anxious about originality you can leave the original horn in its correct place and stuff the 12v one under the seat, ............or wherever. :shock:
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I took the tip from " Taff the Horn " decades ago, he's dealt with enough burn out horns to make a living restoring them.
A 6v bulb will also work on 12v, but will blow much quicker as the filament is a much finer coil than that in a horn. I have kept my 6 volt horns on the bikes where its seen, but for £6, choose to hide 12v horn on the bike. Why blow a horn that's selling now for over £100. But the additional risk may be far more costly.
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Rob Harknett wrote:I took the tip from " Taff the Horn " .
:rofl: :rofl:
bjork

Post by bjork »

Julian_S wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:I took the tip from " Taff the Horn " .
:rofl: :rofl:
That's a line from the unscreened Welsh TV show starring Frankie Howerd. It was to be called Up Cader Idris or something.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today