1st Classic Brit Chocolatine, Dordogne, 04/07/2020

Forum rules
Bienvenue a  la section francaise du club AJS et Matchless. Ici vous pouvez ecrire en Francais ou en Anglais, poser des questions et obtenir des informations sur votre moto de la marque.

Que vous soyez proprietaire ou simplement interesse par la marque, vous etes ici bienvenu .
vince33

1st Classic Brit Chocolatine, Dordogne, 04/07/2020

Post by vince33 »

Bonjour,
nouvel acquéreur d'une Matchless G9 de 1959, première moto anglaise pour moi, je me suis donc récemment inscrit sur le Jampot, je vous partage ici ma première balade à son guidon.

Également inscrit sur un forum français de motos anglaises, je découvre au détour d'un post l'intention par certains d'organiser une balade informelle dans le secteur south west de notre belle France. Après moult délibérations et l'éviction d'une première proposition Pyrénéenne, trop loin pour beaucoup, la Dordogne fut élue à l'unanimité pour le 4 juillet 2020 avec comme point de chute le restaurant Pech de Malet à Vitrac : http://pechdemalet.free.fr/

Rendez-vous chez un ami et sa BSA, le samedi à 8h30, où je retrouvais 4 autres amis sur Triumph.
Direction Miramont-de-Guyenne pour une première halte qui permit à un autre petit groupe de nous rejoindre, composé d'une Norton 750S, Norton 88 et Triumph Trident.

Cliquez pour visualiser
Image Image

Direction Vitrac, par Villereal, où nous arrivâmes peu avant 13h30 après quelques jardinages et atermoiements, malgré tout les deux autres groupes prévus arrivèrent à 5mn d'intervalle, l'honneur fut sauf, plus qu'a s'attabler et trinquer.
Cela donnait un bien joli parking composé essentiellement d'anglaises, avec aussi une BMW R60/5 et une Ducati 750GT.

Image Image

Petite balade dans le secteur l'après-midi puis retour maison où j'arrivais, fourbu, vers 20 heures, ils appellent ça une balade mais c'est qu'ils arsouillent les mecs ! :o

Lien vers album photo, composé essentiellement de photos faites par deux autres participants : 1st Classic Brit Chocolatine 4/7/2020

Ci-dessous ma moto, que j'apprécie dèjà beaucoup, 1959 Matchless 500 G9, achetée le 5 juin et sur laquelle j'ai un peu travaillé, avec l'aide d'un ami, pour pouvoir rouler sereinement ce samedi.
J'ai donc changé les joints de culasses/cylindre/rocker box, réglage culbuteurs, changement du pneu arrière, changement complet de la fourche par une en meilleur état (provenant du lot de pièces vendu avec la moto), comme je ne suis pas un poulpe il fallait bien une paire de bras supplémentaire :lol: , changement tubes échappement, selle refaite par un copain, un autre m'a aidé à distance pour trouvé un court-circuit, l'histoire à durée 2 demi journée par whatsapp., ça faisait cramer un fusible de 25A😳, contrôle complet du faisceau, c'était le bornier qui faisait court-circuit avec la gamelle de phare une fois mis en place :headbang: 😤(son isolant était cuit), adaptation d'un cornet, pose d'une cale anti-calorique (absente lors de l'achat), pose du top-box Craven et des rétros. Halcyon.

Image Image

Image Image
Rob Harknett

Re: 1st Classic Brit Chocolatine, Dordogne, 04/07/2020

Post by Rob Harknett »

AfrikaansArabicBanglaBosnian (Latin)BulgarianCantonese (Traditional)CatalanChinese SimplifiedChinese TraditionalCroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFijianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGermanGreekGujaratiHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHmong DawHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKannadaKazakhKiswahiliKlingonKoreanLatvianLithuanianMalagasyMalay (Latin)MalayalamMalteseMaoriMarathiNorwegian BokmålPersianPolishPortuguese (Brazil)Portuguese (Portugal)Punjabi (Gurmukhi)Querétaro Otomi RomanianRussianSamoanSerbian (Cyrillic)Serbian (Latin)SlovakSlovenianSpanishSwedishTahitianTamilTeluguThaiTonganTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYucatec Maya

Hello
new purchaser of a Matchless G9 from 1959, the first English bike for me, so I recently registered on the Jampot, I share here my first ride to his handlebars.

Also registered on a French forum of English motorcycles, I discover at the turn of a post the intention by some to organize an informal ride in the south west sector of our beautiful France. After much deliberation and the expulsion of a first Pyrenean proposal, too far for many, the Dordogne was unanimously elected for 4 July 2020 with the Pech de Malet restaurant in Vitrac as its drop-off point: http://pechdemalet.free.fr/

Meet a friend and his BSA on Saturday at 8:30 a.m., where I met four other friends on Triumph.
Head to Miramont-de-Guyenne for a first stop that allowed another small group to join us, consisting of a Norton 750S, Norton 88 and Triumph Trident.
Heading to Vitrac, by Villereal, where we arrived shortly before 1:30 p.m. after some gardening and procrastination, despite all the other two planned groups arrived 5 minutes apart, the honor was safe, more than to sit down and toast.
This gave a nice parking lot composed mainly of English, with also a BMW R60/5 and a Ducati 750GT. Little walk in the area in the afternoon and then back home where I arrived, drunk, around 8 p.m., they call it a walk but it's that they the guys! :o

Link to photo album, consisting mainly of photos made by two other participants: 1st Classic Brit Chocolatine 4/7/2020

Below my bike, which I already enjoy a lot, 1959 Matchless 500 G9, bought on June 5 and on which I worked a little, with the help of a friend, to be able to ride serenely this Saturday.
So I changed the breech/cylinder/rocker box joints, tumblers setting, rear tire change, complete change of the fork by one in better condition (from the lot of parts sold with the bike), as I'm not an octopus it was necessary a pair of arms extra :lol: , change tubes exhaust, saddle redone by a buddy, another helped me remotely to find a short circuit, the story lasted 2 half day by whatsapp., it made a fuse burnt 25A😳, complete control of the beam, it was the bounder who short-circuited with the lighthouse bowl once set up:headbang: 😤 (its insulation was cooked), adaptation of a cone, installation of an anti-calorie wedge (absent when purchased) , posing Craven top-box and retros. Halcyon
REW

Post by REW »

Thanks for your very interesting post Vince and great set of photos. I can only envy the ride you guys had and the countryside around you. Great set of bikes you had there too.

Your Matchless looks good and you have obviously made it reliable enough to go on quite a long run, according to the map. I know the Cognac region well and would love to take my 500 AJS down there on my summer holidays but sadly I haven't managed it yet and will not be able to this year either, I think.

I look forward to more stories and photos of your rides. Oh, and welcome to the club!
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

REW wrote:Thanks for your very interesting post Vince and great set of photos. I can only envy the ride you guys had and the countryside around you. Great set of bikes you had there too.

Your Matchless looks good and you have obviously made it reliable enough to go on quite a long run, according to the map. I know the Cognac region well and would love to take my 500 AJS down there on my summer holidays but sadly I haven't managed it yet and will not be able to this year either, I think.

I look forward to more stories and photos of your rides. Oh, and welcome to the club!
Merci pour votre post très intéressant Vince et grand ensemble de photos. Je ne peux qu'envier le trajet que vous avez fait et la campagne autour de vous. Super ensemble de vélos que vous aviez là aussi.

Votre Matchless semble bon et vous avez évidemment fait assez fiable pour aller sur un assez long terme, selon la carte. Je connais bien la région de Cognac et j'aimerais prendre mes 500 AJS là-bas sur mes vacances d'été, mais malheureusement je n'ai pas encore réussi et ne sera pas en mesure de cette année non plus, je pense.

J'attends avec impatience d'autres histoires et photos de vos manèges. Oh, et bienvenue au club!
vince33

Post by vince33 »

Merci Rob pour vos traductions.

Merci Rew pour votre message. je resterais prudent, à cause de mon emploi du temps de travail très variable, mais ce serait très sympa de se retrouver autour de Cognac lors d'un de vos prochains voyages, je fais partie d'un club de motos anciennes de la région bordelaise et peut-être pourrais-je motiver quelques copains qui chevauchent des pièges britanniques vintage.

Thank you Rob for your translations.

Thank you Rew for your message. I would remain careful, because of my very variable work schedule, but it would be very nice to be around Cognac during one of your next trips, I am part of a club of vintage motorcycles in the Bordeaux region and maybe I could motivate a few friends who ride vintage British traps.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I do this a lot on another forum Vince for people that may have problems with English, perhaps also IT skills to do translations. Rob

Je fais cela beaucoup sur un autre forum Vince pour les gens qui peuvent avoir des problèmes avec l'anglais, peut-être aussi des compétences informatiques pour faire des traductions. Rob
MikeM.

Post by MikeM. »

Back in 2003 I spent a week at Vezac not very far from Vitrac, I was on my way ( going the long way there) to the International Jampot Rally at Auxonne. i had already attended a really at Cerizay and there was another event at Vezac the following week-end. After the Vezac event I went on to Clermont-Ferrand where I camped for the week preceding the international. in all I did over 2000 miles on my All Junk and Scrap 500 single Twingle special with no problems and a fuel consumption of 90 mpg. I met many interesting people in my travels one being an Englishman in a supermarket while touring the Vezac area who wanted to know if the AJS outside was mine and that he had bought one from Freddy Frith in Great Yarmouth in 1955, another stopped and asked me if I had broken down when I had stopped to take a photo of the Twingle at by the La Roque-Gageac village sign, when I retorted NO, and asked why he should think that he said "old British bikes are always breaking down!". It turned out he had a restaurant in Beynac and had a 350 trials Ariel and had heard me pass through on my way to Vezac several days previously.
vince33

Post by vince33 »

Thank you for your interesting story MikeM.
I would like to plan myself a longer road trip but i'm very hesitant, that's my first vintage English bike.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Mike

Your post reminded me of reading Basil Chilvers contributions to Jampot all those years ago.

Johnny B