Harris G80 - Ignition Switch

Information related to the Harris Matchless (also known as Devon Matchless)
Velossembly

Post by Velossembly »

I know it's not a proper Matchless but they're accepted at "The Alternative" so:

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement Ignition Switch? I've read somewhere that the same switch is used on a Moto-Guzzi but, of course, the first thing a Guzzi agent wants to know is model and year - to which I have no answer.

Having looked inside my old switch, which uses plated steel contacts (which rust) not brass or beryllium-copper, I can only assume that it never rains in Italy.

Thanks,

BB.
ianselva

Post by ianselva »

Hi
I have a list of alternatives for the G80 . It states it was made by Zadi of Italy part no 6390013, Vehicle wiring products part 35105 will also fit but with unspecified wiring mods,

Ian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have you phoned Harris?
They are are still in business and have a surprising amount of parts still available. Address is: 2 Pavor Rd, Watcombe, Torquay, Devon TQ2 8BQ & phone number is 01803 314734 & ask to speak to John Birch.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ianselva

Post by ianselva »

I know they have some stock left of certain items ,but they will only supply through a dealer .

Ian
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
I know they have some stock left of certain items ,but they will only supply through a dealer .

Ian

Correct. They don't sell direct retail but they recently supplied a pal through a dealer.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
jonhal

Post by jonhal »

Try Hawkshaw who still list some parts or can order direct from Harris for you.
Velossembly

Re: Harris G80 - Ignition Switch

Post by Velossembly »

Thanks for the helpful replies and apologies for this late response but my Password expired and... well... you know...

Actually, I'm quite anxious to avoid fitting another switch like the original. They simply cannot stand up to British winter weather so one of my bikes is only running because I dismantled the switch and "solder plated" what was left of the rusty track and the other one is off the road right now.

The advice given in the excellent "Alternative Spares" list is probably correct, in that a pattern switch from Vehicle Wiring Products could be fitted. However, it requires significant changes to the type of connections and, although I'm quite capable of doing this, the original socket can then no longer be used.

There is little enough spare wiring loom to play with under that binnacle and jointing on extensions will introduce more potential points of failure.

I know we used to complain about Lucas but they did know how to make a switch! BB.
Brushwarrior

Re: Harris G80 - Ignition Switch

Post by Brushwarrior »

depending on the connections (internal and external) don't know if a modern enfield switch will do the job.
As regards replacement Zadi switch. I know there was an upgrade to ignition switch for the Guzzi V50 types.
Stevo Adams
Bury St. Edmunds
Suffolk