40 Years of the Poachers Section

RL

40 Years of the Poachers Section

Post by RL »

40 years of the Poachers
In the spring of 1979 the Poachers section of the AJS & Matchless Owners Club was formed and as we all know it's still running today making it one of the oldest sections, if not the oldest section, in the club. To mark the event and in true Poachers tradition for such occasions we have baked a cake that you will all be able to enjoy at the next section meeting on 12th March. John Hattersley is now the only active founder member and if it wasn't for John and like minded people back in 1979 we probably wouldn't be enjoying what we have today.
MikeM.

Re: 40 Years of the Poachers Section

Post by MikeM. »

Sorry, but there are older sections of the club than the Poachers namely Surrey, originally West Surrey (Sept 1974), East Berks (1975) and the first section to be formed after the collapse of the the company and the virtual collapse the club when it shrank down to just the Headquarters Section which met in Mitcham was East Midland. Unfortunately Surrey is in such a decline that it doesn't seem likely to reach it's 45th anniversary.
Mike Monk, one of the founder members of West Surrey.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Got a feeling Hampshire wasn't far behind Surrey, 1975/76? possibly.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Surrey appeared 1963 Rob
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Sorry, meant West Surrey Rob.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

RL wrote:40 years of the Poachers
In the spring of 1979 the Poachers section of the AJS & Matchless Owners Club was formed and as we all know it's still running today making it one of the oldest sections, if not the oldest section, in the club. To mark the event and in true Poachers tradition for such occasions we have baked a cake that you will all be able to enjoy at the next section meeting on 12th March. John Hattersley is now the only active founder member and if it wasn't for John and like minded people back in 1979 we probably wouldn't be enjoying what we have today.
In the beginning the club had branches, later to be known as sections. Branches started to spread out by 1954, South East, South Essex, West Herts and Medway. Each had a committee headed by a President. What was know as HQ had just an Hon. Gen. Sec. soon to be joined by a P.R.O. By 1963 Branch committee's were on the wane, while the HQ expanded, soon to become the club's executive committee.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:Sorry, meant West Surrey Rob.
Not come across a West Surrey section Rob, while compiling the " clubs people " spread sheet. Perhaps they came along when the club had arrived at having an Executive club committee. At which time Jampot only gave the members of that committee as Club officials. Here is what is recorded in Jampot 1965, note the main committee is growing, while some branches still hang on to their committee's.
1965.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Must have been one Rob otherwise Mike M wouldn't have mentioned it.
clive

Post by clive »

Mike M perhaps you can comment but i think it started as Surrey section and became West Surrey when the meeting point changed. Was west Surrey when i joined in 1980.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:Must have been one Rob otherwise Mike M wouldn't have mentioned it.
Must have been one Rob, but I have only mentioned up to 1965, I think Mike is talking mid 70's era.
I could always check, but I may as well wait until I can access the info from 1952. I'll start the file using Jampot magazines I own.
Do as much as I can without the need to use our club archive contents. When I do need use of them. Make all digital, that may be thought we should.
So far all files I have been asked to make to date, Jampot magazines gave most of the info. I made a start scanning my early mag's a few years ago. I did not get far as at that time there seemed little interest in all the club history they contain. History will see Surrey was before West Surrey and at some time should show, reverted back to Surrey.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.