Local group members

matchless morini man
Deceased

Local group members

Post by matchless morini man »

Hi , if you're reading this and your a member of the local group please leave me a message, over the following months I'm going to try to get people to use the site and get a little more benefit from being a member, so many either don't use it or don't no how , surely we can help folk to see the advantages?
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: Local group members

Post by saltbox alf »

Ah a local group for local people!!
No, it would be good to have a larger input into the forum, get some fresh views and ideas an thoughts.

It would be good also to have more members from around the world joining in , I am sure we can get by with a bit of translation . the programs on't tinternet for transduction are quite good now.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

Aye, but there isn't one to translate English into Yorkshireish.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Bye 'eck lass youw is reet on't thou nail .

Edit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

By 'eck ah av fahn' eur translator for Yorksha.

http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/main.asp
Janet

Post by Janet »

saltbox alf wrote:Bye 'eck lass youw is reet on't thou nail .

Edit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

By 'eck ah av fahn' eur translator for Yorksha.

http://www.whoohoo.co.uk/main.asp
:rofl:
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Back to the subject in hand, as a newish member and totally new to British machines the main forum can seem a little intimidating as some responses can be somewhat abrasive referring people to searching for past posts for assistance to their enquiries. A more local pool of discussion maybe a distincted advantage.

Whilst I can accept that for long time members there are certain subjects they hear time and time again but to the new member this is fresh information to be taken on board and stored for future reference.

It must be noted that the first timers who purchased new, nearly new and second hand machines upto the 1970's with their first hand knowledge of maintenance and servicing are the goldmine of information, information that needs passing on to future generations to maintain, service and bring to life these wonderful machines.

My experience dates from late 1970's/80's and the machines from the rising sun and as these machine have developed, other than routine maintenance, they can be pretty soleless.

My VFR 23 years old 100+ litres of semi-synthetic oil, 20+ oil filters, numerous tyres and not a single peak inside the crankcases and I'm sure there are many other Honda, Yam, Suzi and Kwak owners of the same vintage that could say the same. Note I didn't include our Italian cousins who have kept up the tradition of getting to know the internals of your machine usually down the road.

Is Yorkshire twin with Aude?
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Glenn, well put and needed saying , It' also quite true in what you say about Jappanise bikes, having had a few they are pretty well put together and on the whole mechanicaly sound, (I have though, blown a couple up and had to delve inside) And to some one new to old clunkers it's a whole new ball game.

A trip to your local section is always a good idea, if it's not on the other side of the planet! There you can find a lot of help and face to face is always better. However don't discount the forum as most every body who uses it will help you. On the question of past posts it's always worth looking as you may find what you need to find or at least point you in the right direction, then if it don't make sense or it's something you have never done then please ask.

I have said it before that there seems to be a cut off point where some of the newer members never had the 'joy' of growing up with these bikes or helping Dad with his annoying beast at the week end and learning the ropes. This makes the approach to 'classic' bikes a somewhat different affair and essentially the new owner is a 'novice' and needs all the encouragement that can be given.

Yorkshire and Languadoc rousillon are twinned (Aude is in the Languedoc) they do have a lot of tractors round here :rofl:
Janet

Post by Janet »

Grawding wrote:Back to the subject in hand, as a newish member and totally new to British machines the main forum can seem a little intimidating as some responses can be somewhat abrasive referring people to searching for past posts for assistance to their enquiries.
Glenn, you've hit the nail on the head regarding abrasive responses. Some people can be particularly scathing and mean it. Others keep their typing to a minimum and this can come across as being brusque but they don't mean it. Some will point you at the search facility because they know there are subjects that have been discussed many times and in each thread there can be a comment or solution that gets missed in a new thread and they, themselves, may not know the answer. Sadly, some of the best advice was given by people who are no longer with us so they are unable to respond.
A more local pool of discussion maybe a distincted advantage.
I've been here for a long time and, until recently, I appear to have been the only one from our region, so I agree that it may be good to have local people. Don't rule out foreigners from outside Yorkshire, though. I know one who drove up from Wiltshire to help someone fix their bike in Lincolnshire.
Whilst I can accept that for long time members there are certain subjects they hear time and time again but to the new member this is fresh information to be taken on board and stored for future reference.
You're right again. Most are aware of this and will repeat the advice for the new person, or at least give you the link to a relevant thread. The time the good guys get fed up is when they spend time and thought into a good reply and the person asking the question then says it's wrong. Not understanding, or a genuine query about something said, is OK.
It must be noted that the first timers who purchased new, nearly new and second hand machines upto the 1970's with their first hand knowledge of maintenance and servicing are the goldmine of information, information that needs passing on to future generations to maintain, service and bring to life these wonderful machines.

My experience dates from late 1970's/80's and the machines from the rising sun and as these machine have developed, other than routine maintenance, they can be pretty soleless.

My VFR 23 years old 100+ litres of semi-synthetic oil, 20+ oil filters, numerous tyres and not a single peak inside the crankcases and I'm sure there are many other Honda, Yam, Suzi and Kwak owners of the same vintage that could say the same. Note I didn't include our Italian cousins who have kept up the tradition of getting to know the internals of your machine usually down the road.
Although I agree that my 1970's Hondas tend to need less attention than my older bikes, I wouldn't say they are soulless. Perhaps it's because they were at the tail end of the 'traditional' motorcycle with carbs, points ignition, skinny tyres, marginal brakes etc. Perhaps it's because my riding ability is limited, so anything can produce an adrenaline rush in me.
Is Yorkshire twin with Aude?
Careful, he's the type who could turn up here. He likes riding in the cold and wet. He's also one of the friendly ones.
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Hi Janet,

Soulless (so that's how its spelt, dyslexia rules KO), yes soulless maybe a like harsh and the early Japanese machines definitely had character, I suppose post 1990 and advent of the jelly mold projectile plastic missiles their reliability, handling and easy of use became the norm. They just got quicker, lighter, turned faster, stopped quicker and models changed with very few interchangeable parts almost year on year. Don't get me wrong I think they have the same place as any old bikes what ever there origin but the prices for 1970's Z1's are 1980's 350LC's make me gasp.

It takes all sorts I suppose.

From the posts I read have you have an excellent sparring partner with our colleague from France, who I believe responded to my first post as did you.

Often holiday in France - Largentiare last year canoeing, very friendly folk even with my very poor french (I try but I struggle with English) :rofl:
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Glenn welcome,

I believe what your trying to achieve is highly commendable however before you get too carried away please bear in mind that you only have 90 days free access to this clubs forum. After that day you'll be asked to join the club to gain further access. You'll also be entitled to a monthly mag, private members adverts for parts, post pics asking for help, spares discount etc etc.

If your planning to keep you clunker it's well worthwhile as I'm sure others on this site will testify to.