Local group members

Janet

Re: Local group members

Post by Janet »

Glenn joined the club in January so is another one who has slipped through the net here. His profile shows him as a member but not under his name on his posts. Perhaps a PM to the webmaster would rectify that.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

matchless morini man wrote:I'm going to try to get people to use the site, so many either don't use it or don't no how
Precisely why I encourage people to use the 'Search' facility and Christian's Archive.
As Janet said, many sages are no longer with us but their knowledge and experience is still there.

The difficulty when responding to a 'Help' question is that one doesn't know the experience or facilities available to the enquirer and frequently the full facts are not given. The old 'Help' posts usually cover the subject chapter and verse. Today's questioners could become tomorrow's helpers if they have the time.

I'm making do with an adapted modern bike until I can ride the Matchless again but it's as boring as having a company car; I never have to do anything to it.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'll get onto it straight away, thanks Janet.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Nice one Sprid, do like the tank badge. See you got a mention is dispatches too :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

First service due now. The dealer collects it, services it, and delivers it back to me, leaving me time to clean the oven :headbang:
Grawding

Post by Grawding »

Very valid points Strid, and in some respects my response to the original post was in support of more local use of the forum and not in anyway to detract from the wealth of knowledge and experience stored on the system.

In part the issue is the reverse of my problem, my lack of experience and knowledge of the machines brings apprehension and fear similar to that of those with modern techonolgy who choose not to (or can't) contribute to the forum.

Meeting in person and word of mouth is an excellent form of communication but the forum responses lock that in stone (or bits) for future benefit. It would be a great shame to lose this analogue memory store if the fear of technology is the barrier and locally we can assist members to joint the clan. Not kicking and screaming but through new mediums as Tablets and Ipads that switch on and work without a degree in computing.

As for your modern machine, this is the one with the work of engineering art to the nearside handlebar? and a very respected test pilot to match.

If you google "Zeroshift" for their Honda Autobox I thing this could be a useful addition to Marigold (your matchless?) I'm sure the boys will be able to graft a unit in place of your CP/Burman/AMC box, the only issue will it be able to handle the power :D they also may want a few hundred thousand beer vouchers as well. :beer:

Goodluck with the oven.
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value.
Albert Einstein.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Thanks for the steer, Glenn. Yes, the Grudge has the proprietary dual lever arrangement on the left.
I've considered an off-the-shelf clutch and gearchange system made by Kliktronic which uses a 'bar mounted 'up and down' paddle switch to make clutchless changes.
I have ridden Marigold 'off road' at camping fields up to about 35 - 40mph with 3" added to the l/h bar and two standard levers on the left but I wouldn't be safe in traffic until I've had more practice.

Even with the Kliktronik kit the main drawback with Marigold would still be the weight, and I can't kickstart her as my right knee/leg is weak (cruciate ligament missing and some thigh muscle and 5 teeth residing up a Sussex lane) so if Marigold leans more than about 15 degrees I can't hold her up with one arm. The Grudge Special is 80lbs lighter. Even so I've always stopped near other folk who have picked me and the bike up (quite a few times).

Back to the original post re. attracting more users/contributors to the Forums. This has been on my mind for some time. It's especially disappointing that that there are a couple of thousand members but only (at a guess) maybe 30 or so who post on here.
Many more must be computer savvy as I expect more than 30 take the Jampot mag in digital format.
Many don't visit section club nights either, maybe for lack of time, distance or they're just not 'club' types.
Just sayin'......
Janet

Post by Janet »

SPRIDDLER wrote:Back to the original post re. attracting more users/contributors to the Forums. This has been on my mind for some time. It's especially disappointing that that there are a couple of thousand members but only (at a guess) maybe 30 or so who post on here.
Many more must be computer savvy as I expect more than 30 take the Jampot mag in digital format.
They can't say they don't know about the website and forum as it gets mentioned regularly in the magazine but if they don't come in the first place, we can't encourage them to post. Until Nick ( Matchlessmoriniman )turned up last November, I didn't know of any other people from our area who visited here.
Many don't visit section club nights either, maybe for lack of time, distance or they're just not 'club' types.
Just sayin'......
Guilty as charged.
matchless morini man
Deceased

Post by matchless morini man »

Just to confirm I am a paid up member , and am now the east yorks rep. We have a good turn out each month at our meetings and my idea was to see how many people who attend the meetings look at the forum , I suspect few, some do not have access to a computer , some hardly use one , the idea being that those that do use the site could maybe spend an hour to show others how . If someone needs a bit of help with their bike people step up to help can the same happen with
the web site?
Janet

Post by Janet »

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were trying to get people from your section posting here about things they've been doing. I didn't realise you were putting out a call to your members to volunteer to teach non-users how to use the internet. Are you sure they want to? Good luck in your efforts.