Stormer FB 360

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
colloc

Stormer FB 360

Post by colloc »

First post so here goes.
Just recently purchased an FB 360 Stormer, bike is in quite good condition but the engine doesn't run.
So rather than just try and get the engine started I am intending to strip it down for inspection.
Are modern owners still using Castrol R40 in their engines/Transmissions?
Glad I found this Forum and no doubt I will be back for more help as the project progresses.
The bike has an Aluminium 'coffin' style tank and I have seen a picture of the type on the Villiers Starmaker facebook site
Rob Harknett

Re: Stormer FB 360

Post by Rob Harknett »

You got a bike, the second task would be to discover more about the bike, before pulling it apart. Manual will also tell you the correct oil to use.
Where in the engine was you intending to put the oil.
colloc

Post by colloc »

Rob,
I have the manual and know a lot about the bikes history.
The fact that the engine has been rebuilt I would like to inspect that it has been done correctly.
The oil is for the transmission and the manual states R40, I was merely asking whether R40 is still the preferred choice given that the information I have is 40 years old and yes I know you can still get R40.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

That's good news, but when I saw oil for engine/transmission , I wondered if you may be new to motor cycles.
There are a few FB Stormer experts in the club, so wait a while for them to see your posting.

I was once asked by a lad what type anti freeze he should use in his scooter, I asked, where are you going to put it.
After a bit of thought I got the puzzled answer, " In the petrol tank I suppose "
Johnobirches

Post by Johnobirches »

So you jumped to conclusions on both counts Rob and gave a distinctly pompous and unfriendly response to someone making their first posting on the forum - you can recognise that I hope.

Hi and welcome Ai338, I'm sure you'll get a warmer and more informative response from other Stormer fans.

Good luck with the bike.

John
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome Colin.
I assume you've found the many previous posts in the 'Two Stroke' section of these forums although there aren't many owners on here.
Clifford Stevens (Forum name: cjay59) is very knowledgeable on the Stormer models and has posted much info on here on the models/development/specs and 60's/70's Stormer riders (although whilst searching for a 'link' to send you I notice that he seems to have removed the text from most/many of his contributions, leaving just a letter 'A' in the comments boxes :? ).

I had a Greeves with the early Starmaker single cylinder 250cc engine back in the 60's which had the two AMAL Monobloc carbs set-up. We all used Castrol R mixed with the petrol but it left an 'orrible gooey deposit inside and outside th'engine. But of course the smell..... :) To clear the 4-stroking due to richness when starting we had to lay them over on their left side to weaken the mixture but it was still very troublesome - (although less so, I discovered, than the girlfriends funded by the sale of it).
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Johnobirches wrote:So you jumped to conclusions on both counts Rob and gave a distinctly pompous and unfriendly response to someone making their first posting on the forum - you can recognise that I hope.

Hi and welcome Ai338, I'm sure you'll get a warmer and more informative response from other Stormer fans.

Good luck with the bike.

John
Hi John, I also note it has taken you four days to respond with a welcome, but that seems to be an after thought.
I saw no one had made a comment Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, so I did what it often takes, to get something to happen.

Think back to your very first posting John, who and what " one liner " prompted and helped to get all the info you wanted for your first posting.
Last edited by Rob Harknett on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Colin, welcome aboard, as you know Castrol oh RRRRR is well known for being sticky after a period of time, so your thought of a strip down is well worth it and I expect crank seals will need replacing too.
For the cogbox I would suggest a more modern semi synthetic and for the fuel mix a modern synthetic 2T oil, but then there's the sublime waft of racing bisto er, Castrol R :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Too right Alf, If a 2 stroke engine is going to be stripped, replace the crank case seals. They are as, or even more important than rings and bore wear.
colloc

Post by colloc »

Sincere apologies if I have caused any controversy here, it wasn't my intention.
I guess I probably brought this upon myself by lack of introduction.
So here goes, I still have the scar on my right shin from my first ever ‘proper' motorbike back in the seventies which was a 410 Stormer that I bought in Greenwich. I soon learnt how to kick start the beast after that and saw the sense in proper boots.
Roll on several years and I now work in the oil industry and saw an advert for a FB 360. I have still to check out the full history but it was found as a box of bits on Foula (a small remote island off of Shetland).
It has all of the workshop and owners manuals and is in very good condition.
I was always aware that the bike won't start and this is likely to be carb/jetting issues.
I have plenty of time on my hands over the winter period when I am not shooting and can't be bothered watching TV all night long.
So between reloading my own ammunition I am intending to strip and clean the bike to showroom spec.
All I was asking was if Castrol R is still the preferred choice and yes I can still remember the sweet smell.
Johnobirches Thanks for the welcome.
Spriddler Thanks for the welcome, I have indeed been looking at cjay59 posts and found the ‘A' comment. I assume that he has removed his posts for some reason.
Saltbox alf, Thanks for the welcome we appear to be on the same hymn sheet with regards to R40 being left for long periods. Any advice on a modern semi synthetic?
Rob Harknett, Thanks for your input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.