Stormer Frame Paint

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
toddyo451

Stormer Frame Paint

Post by toddyo451 »

I have just picked up a 1970 370 Stormer that was parked in a garage back in 1973. I got it running with little trouble and then disassembled it to restore. Can anyone help me with what the correct frame color is or a suitable match?
Cjay59_LAPSED

Re: Stormer Frame Paint

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

The correct colour is silver, and no particular silver, "Fluff" Brown used to sell tins of silver spray paint but said, "It's a motocross bike, it's only on there to stop it going rusty", so I had my Enduro powder coated in stock silver, for my next project, a 410 scrambler I will just spray it in silver from my local car parts dealer.

Post some pictures of your bike,

All the best Cliff
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I had an impression they were nickel plated but I'm probably wrong.......

BTW I've found that car wheel silver aerosols work well for bike bits eg hubs as they seem to be tougher than ordinary silver paint.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Cjay59_LAPSED

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

Hi Ian,

I came across a post on another forum which discussed a frame someone owned which they thought may have been built by the Rickman brothers because when stripped it had bonze welding, and therefore may have been nickel plated,
AJS Stormer Ad..jpg
this advert shows that the frames were welded this way from the NV factory,

but there were oddities,
AJS Stormer Black 1970 EX7 001..jpg
AJS Stormer Black 1970 EX7 003..jpg
I think it highly unlikely that any of these though, would of been exported to the states, an export Y40 or Y50 would be silver, and your suggestion of paint would be ideal, in my view, and the Red Devil's would all be 80's or late 70's machines.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.