AJS Stormer - Amal MkII.

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
Cjay59_LAPSED

AJS Stormer - Amal MkII.

Post by Cjay59_LAPSED »

A
Last edited by Cjay59_LAPSED on Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teamcoates

Re: AJS Stormer - Amal MkII.

Post by teamcoates »

Afternoon Cliff,
Firstly, many thanks for the template. I had a quick look at the weekend, and I think it will probably suit mine, too. I shall take a closer look once the other niggles have been sorted.
I didn't get chance to take any pictures over the weekend, so my main Post will have to wait a while. I shall have to pack the Ayatollah off for some R&R and get some quality time with the Stormer...................
Anyway, no real progress this weekend due to lack of large jubillee clip to mount the 34mm Carb - yes, that is the one I have Cliff. It is a 2934/303, so a 2 stroke carb. I purchased it off flea-bay and changed jets and slide as per Nick's advice. Initially I got nowhere, until after some considerable messing around (and help from both Nick, and also Peter at Electrex, both of whom have spent some considerable time on the bike), I realised that the Cold Start system was not working, and also Pilot jet was in the wrong position. I can only assume that someone in its past tried to use it on a 4 stroke.
Anyway, I did manage to get the bike to start - but only with the Air Screw 2 to 3 turns out.
In jetting down to a 20mm Pilot it will now start, and at the "correct" 1.5 turns out on the Air Screw.
It is still a bit woolly off idle, so I will continue to experiment.
I am now on a 3.5 cutaway Throttle slide.
Lack of time (plus a shortage of large enough Jubilee clips to allow my aluminium conduit to be securely mounted to the Airbox) means that I cannot comment further. Hopefully this weekend will throw up a couple of hours.....
Tony
teamcoates

Re: AJS Stormer - Amal MkII.

Post by teamcoates »

I keep losing Draft Replies I made.
Anyway here goes.
So I managed to get my Stormer MOT'd finally - it was first road registered by the previous owner in 1976. This was the first time it had been on the road (legally, at least) since 1982 (I think). Passed, no advisories.
Anyway, that is another story - as this is all about the AMAL MK2 set up.
For the MOT I was running a "refurbed" 34mm, running:
50 Cold Star
20 Pilot
108 Needle on postion 3
370 Main (I have no idea why - must have been possesed by an imp or something)
3.5 Cut away

As previously mentioned, it was a bit fluffy, but the run to the Testing station revealed that it was horribly over jetted and would not full full throttle.

This weekend saw the appearance of long awaited new 34m from Burlen (they refer to it as a Silk fitment).

Same spec as above but with a much more reasonable 320 Main.
So it started on Choke, but was not a happy bunny off choke - and would die almost immediately.
A blast up the road showed that full chat was a pretty perfect - the 320 is obviously doing its bit.

No amount of fiddling will get it to idle - so it looks like upping the Pilot to 25 is on the cards.

I was much happier with my DIY hose job - connecting to the standard filter. This is 55mm Alumium flexible hose - sourced from FleaBay. It all seems to be air tight and matched with angled Intake from a Norton, appears to provide suffcient support for the 2934. I have (he says hopefully) uploaded a picture.

I will write in more detail under seperate post, the story of the renovation (to date).

Tony
Stormer Carb hose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.