Stormer FB 370 - Silencer

Information on the Stormer 2-stroke machines
burga007

Stormer FB 370 - Silencer

Post by burga007 »

I'm in the process of converting my 1978 Stormer FB 370 for the road and wondered if anyone had any experience with regards to recommending a silencer / muffler to bring the exhaust note down to a more acceptable level. I have contacted AJS and Nick Brown said they used to use DEP silencers when they converted the odd bike for the road. I contacted DEP but they couldn't help me as they said they no longer had the tooling. Looking at other aftermarket silencers, they all seem to be competition focused and therefore (I'm guessing) won't be that quiet. Anyone got any ideas?
SPRIDDLER

Re: Stormer FB 370 - Silencer

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the club, David.
Hmm, as is well known, two-smokes are rather sensitive to zorst systems/back pressure. I think yours will be based on the Villiers Starmaker engine, originally with a tuned expansion chamber. (I scrambled a Greeves with a Starmaker engine not that long after Nelson lost his eye but that had an open zorst).

Maybe a silencer from an MZ or Jawa t/s single?

http://www.themzshop.co.uk/search/?sear ... g=silencer

If you haven't already done so, seek advice from Villiers Services?

http://villiersservices.co.uk/index.php ... Path=21_74
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Rob Harknett

Re: Stormer FB 370 - Silencer

Post by Rob Harknett »

I certainly agree you should not choke a 2 stroke engines silencer. Having run a few 98cc Auto cycles, a standard system needs to be really clean for top performance. I recall being on a run at a rally nr Bristol. On the return trip my bike was getting slower and slower. The finale leg back to camp was a long hill. I had to get off the bike and walk beside it. Eventually the engine died. I could see baffle holes blocked looking in the tail pipe. Just poked a few with a long screw driver. The bike started very easy not even pedalling it. Just used the pedal like a kick starter. After that I was riding round the field with Jan on the luggage rack, it pulled like a horse.