What is the model ?

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

Hello !
I'm first time on this forum and I'm looking for model of my motorocycle. In 70's I was bought it in Germany, restore it i 80's and now stand in garage. For many years, I was search for name of model, but cannot found it. Maybe you can help me ?
I think, that tank is not original, and front light. This table on front fender also it was made for oldtimer meeting.
It's a 500 ccm and 1928 year of production.
Sorry for mistakes, and thanks for help !

Photos:

ianselva

What is the model ?

Post by ianselva »

Is there not a little brass plate rivetted on the LH crankcase under the oil pipe that should show the model .

Ian
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

I don't remeber plate on frame ( or chassis?). Serial numer is under paint, so I can't read this. Maybe in papers it is. I think it can be AJS K9 or this - but i don't have name of this picture. The electric instalation is from Bosch, rear lamp is also from bosch, front lamp i made like original. Seat is not original, I have somewhere but is not founded, and end of exhaust is from NSU, pipes is handmade.
Excuse me ! It's not from Germany, it was bought in Poland.Edited by - morgancar on 13 Feb 2011 7:53:07 PM
ianselva

What is the model ?

Post by ianselva »

I think the tank is correct as it looks identical to the 1930 350 R4 I had.
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

I found this: http://www.cybermotorcycle.com/gallery/ ... HV_rhs.htm it's the same (with the same difference like I said: exhaust, lamps, seat), but there is nothing about model, maybe somebody have the same ?
Rob Harknett

What is the model ?

Post by Rob Harknett »

it has wrong forks for 1928, K9 was a 500SV
there is a plate on the timing cover, the frame engine and gearbox all had the same number when the bike was new. maybe its a model 8,year code letters are, 1925 E, 1926 G, 1927 H, 1928 K, 1929 M, 1930 R, 1931 S 1932 T Numbers stamped at the on each half at the rear of the crank case, just below the barrell should be the same, these are c/case matching numbers. Look where the kick starter shaft goes through the gear box at the top, back of the radius you may fing the year code letter stamped. Parts of serial numbers & year code letter can be found in many places, even on the hollow spindle inside the wheels.
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

wow, thanks, when I have a moment, I look on it. I wrote a mail to National Motorcycle Museum of Australia, now I wait for the answer.
Rob, could You tell me something more about name of models ? I talked with my father (he repair the engine) and he don't remember any plates. But if I found a serial number, there is something like carfax ? Checking serial will take time because it stands near 100 km from my home.
ianselva

What is the model ?

Post by ianselva »

Why dont you consult the Library at Beaulieu ? They have a huge amount of info available and can provide copies of AJS catalogues for nearly all years.
ianselva

What is the model ?

Post by ianselva »

It could be a 1930 R8 which is the 500 OHV and has that type of fork.
I'll try and get a scan of the page in my 1930 parts list but its all a bit faded.

Ian
morgancar

What is the model ?

Post by morgancar »

I sent a mail to this Library. Now I wait for the answer from Australia and Library.