Tank sealer

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
NORMAN NIPPY

Tank sealer

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

May I ask what the club recommends as a tank sealer as my prewar tank is leaking
Thanks
uktom77

Re: Tank sealer

Post by uktom77 »

X2 tanks done with POR15, good results so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thanks
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Hi Arthur

The sensible people will tell you to repair the tank first as generically a tank sealant is predominantly a corrosion protection tool.

Having got that out of the way you really need a tough thick sealant that you can build up in the area of the leak, I have found the frost one quite thin but ideal for its intended purpose.

Your other consideration must be how you intend to clean and prep the tank if you have a leak it will find its way out and spoil the paintwork, you will need to seal externally around the leak and be prepared to possibly touch up some paintwork if leakage occurs.

I have previously used original Petseal (that did a good job until the fuel changed and is the reason I have had to use other products), Slosh and Frost.

The last two I gave to a chap from Kempton Auto Jumble (second link below) because I wanted to preserve the paintwork and he could do it quicker and more thorough than I could (e.g. he has a dark room and tank cap with a light bulb in it so he can look for pinholes and uses an endoscope). I believe he uses Caswell products, one needed Petseal removing and the other had a leak, while he could not guarantee the outcome with the leak it was successful with hardly any additional external evidence (there was already a rust spot in the chrome that was weeping), certainly not as cheap as DIY though.

https://www.caswelleurope.co.uk/black-e ... 33-litres/

http://www.anythinggoesracing.co.uk/Home.html

Hope this helps
JimFitz

Post by JimFitz »

I had a Sunbeam tank repainted and when it was blasted the painter found some pinholes in the top which were welded up. He then used Tapox inside the tank - only a couple of years back but still ok but I do use ethanol free fuel.

Jim
Too old to Rock and Roll but too young to die.

1952 G80 rigid, 1960 G12 DL / Watsonian Monza, 1954 G80S.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thanks all
Arthur