1937 AJS 250

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
NORMAN NIPPY

1937 AJS 250

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Had not seen bike for weeks, when I came back there was a pool of oil under the timing case the timing case seamed dry. I drained oil from case and the leak
stopped, as the case was dry could it be coming from the pipe behind the case.
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: 1937 AJS 250

Post by Rob Harknett »

It probably sumped oil while standing, so there is probably excess oil in he sump. if you manage to start the bike it will make a lot of smoke until the sump has returned excess oil to the oil tank. If the bike will not start, as the plug oils up. Drain the sump. When you then start the bike, it will take a few minutes to first refill the sump to its correct level, before you will see a return to the oil tank. The bike will probably leak when standing, so remember what to do, re excess sumped oil. Nothing to worry about.
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thanks for reply, I had a stroke that has left my right leg weak. Has anyone came up with an easy way to change gear? I have to lift my foot off the peg to change gear, ie alter gear lever or a heel/toe type if possible
Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

NORMAN NIPPY wrote:Thanks for reply, I had a stroke that has left my right leg weak. Has anyone came up with an easy way to change gear? I have to lift my foot off the peg to change gear, ie alter gear lever or a heel/toe type if possible
Thanks
Not sure whether you mean you have to lift your foot off the peg for changing up or changing down, or both, but a heel 'n toe lever might solve it or perhaps fit a cyclist's type of 'rat-trap' to the gear lever? Or even a couple of rods and Rose joints to convert to hand change? and ride in a pair of Plus Fours ;)
Probably way over the top for what you need but just for interest or future use have a look at the electro-mechanical Kliktronic gear changer. They can supply units for all bikes, classic and modern at around £500. I have to ride using only one-arm so I have their beautifully engineered dual brake and clutch adaptations (@ £700 each) on my 350 Matchless and another on my modern 250 'Mutchless'. Costly, yes, but I couldn't ride again without them. Have a look on their website here:

https://www.kliktronic.co.uk/products/kliktronic
Kliktronic.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thanks for reply, due to my stroke I have no power in my ancle that's why I lift my leg to change gear, the lever is set level
possible needs resetting?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The Burman mod H gearbox. ( if you have the correct gearbox ) is 1 down & 3 up. As its possitive stop you may only need a rod looped over the gear change lever, going up through a hole in a bracket, and you have hand change..
NORMAN NIPPY

Post by NORMAN NIPPY »

Thank you all, for your replies, over the winter I will check the hand change system.
Thanks again