1929 Matchless Model R/S Oil Pump

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
kelvin

1929 Matchless Model R/S Oil Pump

Post by kelvin »

I am considering the purchase of a 1929 Model R/S, 250cc side valve, single. The bike currently doesn't have an oil pump fitted so I would need to source one. I have been advised that originally it would have been fitted with a Best and Lloyd pump but unfortunately I am lacking in knowledge of these machines.

Can anyone confirm the exact type/model of pump that would have been fitted and possibly advise a reliable source for a refurbished or remanufactured item ?
SPRIDDLER

Re: 1929 Matchless Model R/S Oil Pump

Post by SPRIDDLER »

kelvin wrote:..........unfortunately I am lacking in knowledge of these machines.
Can't help with a source for the pump but a copy of the original R/S Instruction and Spare Parts Manual is in the link below (including all pump parts and their part numbers if you scroll to near the end of the document):

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... n_book.pdf
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Thank you Spriddler, that's very useful.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This question has been asked of me via prewar@jampot.com. Also asked in other forums.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Would that be one of these?:

http://www.vintage-replica.cz/373.E.htm
kelvin

Post by kelvin »

Unless there are other versions, it might well be; hoping somebody can confirm ? Do you have experience of dealing with this company and their products Duncan ?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Never heard a bad word against Jari of vintage replica ( Czech republic.) He his quite active within e groups etc. Probably he made the pump in the first instant for one of his own bikes. I am not sure if / how it differs from this early version.
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Oil ... _Chart.pdf
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

kelvin wrote: Do you have experience of dealing with this company and their products Duncan ?
I have brought the replica levers and been very happy with them, Jari usually does a couple of UK shows a year so you can see what you are buying, save the postage and sometimes even beat the web price. If you want to ensure he has what you need available contact him first so that he brings it along.

Looking at Rob's link you may need a different pump.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:
kelvin wrote: Do you have experience of dealing with this company and their products Duncan ?
I have brought the replica levers and been very happy with them, Jari usually does a couple of UK shows a year so you can see what you are buying, save the postage and sometimes even beat the web price. If you want to ensure he has what you need available contact him first so that he brings it along.

Looking at Rob's link you may need a different pump.
Note the link is to a 1919 Best & Lloyd parts list, the only one I believe, in the archives. The pump may have changed design for the 1928 / 29 era of the R/S Matchless.